Need help on mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on mod?

I know this should be in the electrical section but no one seems to look there much and I need help, badly.
I decided to do the foglight mod on my early model 97 which is different from about 99+. I found what I thought was the needed info but for some reason mine worked really funky. The fogs would light with the **** pushed in but once pulled out they would go off. That's the exact opposite of the factory setup and how they should work.
I found that wierd so I pulled the jumper wire off of the requested brown and white/blk wires. After replacing the blown 5 amp fuse they work again only in stock form.
On my 97 I have 2 square (left is gray, right is black) and one rectangular plug to the extreme far right. All in all there are 17 wires going into 16 connections, there are two white/black wires on that far right plug. Accoding to the directions I got from geocities link it states connect the brown wire on the far left bottom cornor to the white/black wire on the far right. Well, I have two white/blk's. I figured both have to do the same function if they both go into the same slot.
Thinking about just trying it again on the other white/blk wire.
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? At first I thought I had blown my headlight switch or melted some wires. I did read where a fellow called Jetset said not to jump the wires this way. But I couldn't make heads or tails of his mod to a relay under the hood. HELP!!!!!!
After helping me you have my permission to choke, punch, strangle, or kill me. Thanks guys....

Old 10-10-2002, 02:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been over a year since I've done this mod, but if I recall, all you need to do for the 97-98 is to pull the headlight switch unit out of the dash by taking off the ****, installing it upside down, then turning the lights on. Then you have to cross 2 wires... I can't remember which wires, I can look into it tomorrow if you'd like. Lastly, you have to grind down a slight hump on the switch itself so that you can pull the **** out when it's at the parking light position. Another plus of this is that you'll have your fogs on with your high beams as well.

Hope this helps
-Flea

Old 10-10-2002, 10:15 PM
FleasF-150eatshondas
You the only one in three days that has even responded to the two different threads I've posted on this.
I've got the mechanical part done, that was no problem. When I do the electrical posrtion funny things happened and I'm not sure if I have the right wires or if somehow the switch is messed up or what. According to the directions you should jump the brown and white/black wire. On my truck theres are two white/blk wires and I've tried both. The first wire when hooked up worked good for a second then I noticed that with the switch pulled out the fog went off and when pushed in they came on. Just the opposite of what it should be. When I tried the second wire I used a inline 5 amp fuse which blew as soon as I flipped them on.

Old 10-11-2002, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm... I'll have to pull the face off mine tomorrow and check the wires for ya to see if you maybe have the wrong wires crossed.

Not sure what to make of this one.
-Flea

Old 10-11-2002, 12:27 AM
Thanks, that would be a great help. Look real close and see if your 98 has two white/blk wires on the far most right plug ( if like mine it will have 3 plugs). I might try it again as all it did before was blow a fuse. Maybe it was just a fluke, wanted to find info before i fry something.

Old 10-11-2002, 04:58 PM
I believe that the 5 amp fuse blew because you are dealing with a 20-25amp circut

Did you check to make double sure that you did not put the plugs in backwards?

Do you have the auto lights?

When I did my mod I tried it before jumping the wires and the fogs didn't work at all! In the park position) So make sure your jumper is connected well.

Does it work with the jumper removed?

There is a flange on the headlight switch that needs to be in a little track for everything to work right. did you have a hard time putting the switch back together?

do you have the **** still on in the reverse position?

here's the link again just incase you have a different one,

http://www.geocities.com/tedoca/headlight.html

Hope something here helps!

Old 10-11-2002, 08:11 PM
hcmq

Thanks for posting.
That's the link I was following. No, I do not have the auto lamps and the **** is in the right postion and mine wouldn't work without the jumper wire (it can't work that way).
The first 5 amp fuse that I blew is a OE fuse in the factory fuse block under the dash ( it's postion 21 I think, according to the book, the fuse box cover is labeled wrong for the truck, too). So, it may be a 20-25 amp circuit but the 5 amp fuse must activate a relay. That would make sense why the inline 5 amp fuse I tried to use as a jumper blew the first try.
It was wierd they worked fine for about 3 test cycles then it went all funny. They would light when supposed to be off, and would be off when they should be on.
The thing about the little track might be right. I didn't have that hard of time putting it back togther. With the 3/8 hole drilled I was able to slide the arm right into place. I might try taking it apart and trying/looking at it again. I plan to try the wire thing again. Seems all that can happen is blow a fuse as long as I do not over rate the circuit.

Thanks

Old 12-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Hello KYFordFreak,

I decided to do the foglight mod tonight and ended up in the same exact spot you were in. I have a '99 F150 without autolight. It sounds like we have the same exact 3 plugs with a thick brown wire on the first plug (left) corner, and two white/black wires on the far right plug going into the same location. I too blew the same fuse, I thought I had really messed something up. Anyhow, I’m sorry I don't have a solution for you but I was hoping you had one for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Johnny

Old 12-17-2002, 08:09 PM
Well, after that I checked to make sure the switch was tracking right in the track and it was. I had to rush off to work and found out my crusie had quit. At first I thought I had screwed my crusie up but turns out it was a unrelated sensor problem. Since then it's turned really cold and I have been fairly busy. So unfortunately I have no answer for you. Maybe dragging this back up will bring us some answers.

Did you try brwn wire to both white/blk wires one at a time? I think I did and it didn't make a difference. I even tried to using a 5 amp inline fuse as my jumper. It wouldn't hold the power and I was afraid to over rate it as the fuse in the fuse block that blowed on me was only 5 amps. Maybe we need to hook into both blk/white wires.

Thanks you've sparked my interest into fixing this again.

Quick Reply: Need help on mod?