F-150 Radiator Update from Ford

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation F-150 Radiator Update from Ford

I have information that may already be out there. If it is, I have not seen it.

While purchasing my SCrew last Friday, I had the dealer write into the sale that he will check into the radiator upgrade, that I brought to his attention (thanks to this site), and that I will get the radiator upgraded to the 1.42" model if it is applicable to my SCrew with tow package.

After a day of digging that following Monday and coming up with nothing through normal channels, he contacted someone inside Ford that he knew. That person knew all about the situation and radiator controversy. They FAXed this notice over to him. It reads as follows:

Dealer News Bulletin DNB
May 4, 2001

VEHICLE LINE NEW/REVISED PRODUCT INFORMATION

F-150 (2001) - HEAVY DUTY ELECTRICAL/COOLING GROUP (531) REVISION
The Super Engine Cooling (Radiator Upgrade) is not included in the Heavy Duty Electrical/Cooling Group (531). Dealers are asked to revise the Group/Misc. Options Page of the order guide to remove the Super Engine Cooling (Radiator Upgrade) from the package content.

So what does everyone think about this? Looks like Ford has decided to make another change and not let everyone (including dealers) know about it. Is anyone else getting this story?

Old 06-19-2001, 03:44 PM
I would not take delivery of my 01 screw a month ago without them first installing the larger radiator. Good luck.
terry

Old 06-19-2001, 06:32 PM
Exclamation

Little late for that, they advertised it, took my money for it, and in the end I will have what I paid for!

------------------
2001 Lariat Screw. Gen.3,
5.4, 4x4, All white w/ gray interior. 4r70w tranny, Jingling noise in front drivers side,
wrong radiator, 3.55 open gears.

Old 06-19-2001, 07:50 PM
Cool

They're just sick of paying for it. If you have a truck with all the heavy duty towing/cooling options available, why do they have the larger units? I got mine and I'm gonna get the right auxiliary transmission cooler too. I posted the information in the transmission section without one response.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 4.10LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Pirelli Scorpion Zero 275/60/16s, Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

[This message has been edited by max mitchell (edited 06-19-2001).]

Old 06-19-2001, 10:20 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cbhiii:

Dealer News Bulletin DNB
May 4, 2001

VEHICLE LINE NEW/REVISED PRODUCT INFORMATION

F-150 (2001) - HEAVY DUTY ELECTRICAL/COOLING GROUP (531) REVISION
The Super Engine Cooling (Radiator Upgrade) is not included in the Heavy Duty Electrical/Cooling Group (531). Dealers are asked to revise the Group/Misc. Options Page of the order guide to remove the Super Engine Cooling (Radiator Upgrade) from the package content.

</font>
It looks like they told you exactly what you wanted to hear.

Did they reduce the price of the tow package also?

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 4X4,5.4,Off Road,Tow Pkg

Old 06-19-2001, 10:25 PM
Arrow

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OPIE:
It looks like they told you exactly what you wanted to hear.

Did they reduce the price of the tow package also?

</font>
Hey, I'm just passing on information to everyone who may have an interest. Think what you want of it. I never said I was through.

Old 06-19-2001, 10:26 PM
Cool

What about the towing package?

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Remote Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed, Keyless Entry Mod

[This message has been edited by 2000 F150 4x4 (edited 06-21-2001).]

Old 06-20-2001, 12:03 AM
Thumbs down

This DNB looks likes a lame CYA. I've visited a number of dealerships since the "alleged" bulletin was issued, and have never seen any disclaimers regarding the cooling package. Every salesman, service manager, sales manager, and even a dealership owner, that I've spoken to, claim to know nothing about the mid-run production change. If these representatives of FoMoCo are unaware of this change, how can the truck buying public be expected to know about it. A week ago, I picked up materials at a dealership that still touted "Super Engine Cooling" as a feature of the HD Electrical/Cooling Group. FoMoCo didn't just change specs, they eliminated "Super Engine Cooling" while continuing to promote and sell it. My .02 USA, .03 Canadian

Old 06-20-2001, 06:57 AM
I went to the dealership where i got my truck,which is in McMinnville,TN an hour away from where i live,and the guy in the service department i talked to had no idea what i was talking about.I called them the day before and talked to a guy in the parts department and asked him about the rtadiator and he couldn't even tell me which one i was supposed to have,he did tell me that one he gave me the part number for was the supercooled radiator and also said that if i was supposed to have a bigger one with the tow package that would be it(which i allready knew)I'm going back in a few days after i check my tranny cooler part# and everything else.Does anybody know exactly where the part # is on the radiator?

Old 06-20-2001, 08:31 AM
It's dated May 4, 2001.... I believe 100% of our trucks were built before this date, so Ford should have installed the upgrade in every pickup that included the Class III Tow Package.

Old 06-20-2001, 09:03 AM
SM
Saw a post awhile back from "tonka01" who had a successful and relatively painless radiator replacement experience in Baton Rouge, LA. If you read this, tonka01, would you mind sharing the name of the dealership and personnel who helped you? The dealership I am trying to work with is taking a very long time to "look into the matter." In other words I think I am getting the runaround that will never end. If you could provide this info it would be greatly appreciated by myself and probably others in this area.
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Old 06-20-2001, 10:41 AM
I spoke with the dealer salesman again today. He made some more calls this morning as I continued to pressure him.

He found out that this change took place on the 2000 model year, so F-150s back to late 1999 with the tow package will not have the proper radiator installed.

I plan on working over the service manager and the Ford field rep. next.

[This message has been edited by cbhiii (edited 06-20-2001).]

Old 06-20-2001, 04:54 PM
Red face

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cbhiii:
[b]I spoke with the dealer salesman again today. He made some more calls this morning as I continued to pressure him.

He found out that this change took place on the 2000 model year, so F-150s back to late 1999 with the tow package will not have the proper radiator installed.

WHAT!!? If true, Ford has had plenty of time to update the 2001 new vehicle catalogs and to inform the dealers of the Package change.

Old 06-20-2001, 05:05 PM
I'm not a lawyer but this looks like a pretty easy case to me. Vendor advertises a product as having super cooling. Product does not in fact have the feature. Vendor is legally responsible for making things right. If my truck was involved in this situation, I would flat out insist that the upgrade be installed. Putting out a change in the options list just doesn't cut it! Good luck to you guys, and for Heaven sake, hang tough with them!

Old 06-20-2001, 05:52 PM
What's the beef about?

Didn't you notice that your bumper lost half of it's steel?

Your front fender liners disappered?

You don't get any rear fender liners?

Your truck crumples in a 40% offset contest with an immovable rock of cement?

The F250LD becomes an F150 just when the sales numbers for the 150 are at a critical level of being overtaken by the competition?

The nice little cellphone cubbyhole disappeared from the dash panel?

Why should you fret the loss of cooling that you only *might* need?

(I won my battle for the 2-row radiator, BTW)

Let's see how Ford's F-150 numbers look this time NEXT year!

Don't bother to Flame -- I love my truck -- it's just that I'm adding up all of those little things that I've come to expect (but didn't bother to double-check first, unfortunately).

------------------
Y2K™ Jim - N8JG@Hotmail.com

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Quick Reply: F-150 Radiator Update from Ford