truck shakes like crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool truck shakes like crazy!

Hello again! I have a problem that has been bothering me for some time now. heres the story. Went to the sand dunes and went through some water. Air filter got covered in water, but didn't realize it for awhile. Truck keept stalling and I finnally checked the air filter and took it off and dumped water out of it. (I have a airaid system). Looked into the airaid and the was water a little water in there also. Anywho. Now when the truck is running at idle, the truck vibrates horably. It actually blures the mirrors from the shakeing. It feels like I have a racing cam or something. It is even more noticeable when it is in gear. It runs fine except the vibration. Another thing that is weird is when I take off the air filter, the truck idles up and down alot and eventually stalls. Is that normal when you take the air filter off?!?! I reset the computer and clean the whole intake system. I think it might be the sensore in the air intake?! Can anyone help? PLEASE! its driving me CRAZY!!! THanks!

------------------
NEW TRUCK!
00 f150 ext. cab 4x4 ORP w/5.4/auto, black! Tan buckets, expy center console, tinted windows, westin nerf bars, flowmaster 40 series, remote start/alarm/keyless entry, headlight/taillight covers, Lund wiper cowl, vent visors, tono cover
5" RCD lift, 3" body lift, 35" pro comp ats on eagle 589s

old truck
99 black f150 4x2 ext. cab sport w/4.6 V8. external mods. include:
3" body lift, 3.5" fabtech lift, airaid FIPK, JBA headers, Superchip headlight/taillight covers, wiper schroud, shadeblade, ventshade, bug deflector, bed liner, tonno cover, and custom duel exhaust out the sides with 3.5" chrome tips and NO muffler. Tires: Mickey Thompson Baja HP 35 12.50 17 internal mods. include:
Pioneer indash cdplayer, 2 12" subs, 400 watt amp, remote start, and aftermarket alarm
http://www.4tssinc.com/truck

[This message has been edited by christrucker (edited 04-23-2001).]

Old 04-23-2001, 02:12 PM
Hi christrucker, sounds like that sand and water made something go afoul. If you have a good dealer, that doesn't mind you having that airaid on, take it in for warrantee work.
If your dealer is tough on add ons, put the stock air system back and I wouldn't tell them about "sand dunes and water, catch my drift??

------------------

DOGCAM
dogcam@f150guy.com
01 F-150 SC Lariat
Flareside 4X2,5.4,3:73
LS, SnugLid,Dynomax
Exhaust,Kenwood Amps,
Speakers,JL 10" Sub

Old 04-23-2001, 02:27 PM
yeah, it might come down to that. I kinda just wanted to fix it myself. Its such a pain leaving it at the dealer... Also I don't really trust them all that much...

Old 04-24-2001, 08:54 AM
anyone?

Old 04-26-2001, 02:57 PM
You say you got water into the intake of the enging? Well, for your sake, I hope you didn't hydrolock your engine. That happens when you get water in the cylinder and since water can't be compressed, it causes damage to the cylinder/valves/piston.

Anyway, first thing I'd do is pull all the coils off the plugs and blow some compressed air around the plugs to see if there's water in there. Put the coils back on and try it again.

What I'm not sure about is the above two problems should, I'm guessing, cause a code.

Wish I could be of more help.

Old 04-26-2001, 03:27 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Chris,

Did you clean the MAF? Use windex and a Q-tip on the wire when it is cold ( engine shut off for ½ hour). Careful with the fine wires. If that doesn't help I would check the plugs & coils. Stupid question: Is the MAF plugged it. I am sure we plugged it back in when we took it off at the Dunes but you never know.

Regards

JMC

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Hedman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 04-27-2001, 12:23 AM
Question

I may be WAY off but could the coil packs have gotten wet? I heard that when they go the trucks develop sever shudders. It may be worth trying to chek them out & see if that's the problem or eliminate them as the cause. Hope this helps! Oh yeah - have you tried injector cleaner or dry gas too? Maybe there's some contamination that is restricting fuel flow or watr in the gas. At least that's a cheap way to go & see if it helps any.

------------------

www.andthensometoo.com/owners/cowlady
Love my truck & PROUD of it! If you can't beat 'em, you're NOT driving a FORD!
Shovies PROVE that FORD'S are #1!!
'97 Black F150 XLT ORP 4X4 Reg Cab/LB
4.6L/auto/3.55 LS/power EVERYTHING,
nerf bars, 17" wheels, fog lights, trailer hitch w/electrical connector, front tow hooks, bed rail caps,
6 CD changer, lumbar support & 3 cow license plates - so far!

[This message has been edited by Cowlady (edited 04-26-2001).]

Quick Reply: truck shakes like crazy!