engine stutter in 2001 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine stutter in 2001 5.4

Well, after reading several posts about this, I have the same exact symptoms. Stutter at low rpms and smooths out in higher rpms but still has a slight engine miss. And it's very prominent when I floor it.
The most common solution was spark plug wires. I don't have these. In fact, I'm not even sure WHAT I have under there any more. If only they still made the straight 6. Oh well, I still have a great engine that has a ton more power with better gas mileage in a heavier truck.
Now I just need to understand this ignition system. What should I look for that would screw up the spark? Is there a way to pinpoint it easily? I've already decided that if I'm going to check the plugs, then I might as well replace them, probably with Autolites. How about those coil pack thingamabobs? If one of them is shot, what's the most common one to go? How do I replace it and how much would it cost per each?
I've cleaned the MAF, reset the cp, replaced the fuel fiter, and checked the drivetrain for any play. BTW, where have my precious grease fittings gone? Sealed parts for longevity my a$$.
Thanx for your replies. This is a great truck and I want to keep it running tip top shape.

Old 06-02-2002, 08:00 AM
My 5.4 did the same thing to me one morning two weeks ago.

I think the problem lies with the auto tranny.

Why: I moved the tranny selector slightly and found I did not have it at the indent for drive. After moving it slightly to the indent the stumble/stutter went away?!? Go figure.

So, it may actually be a tranny gear selector issue. Next time it happens, try to move the selector slightly and see if it works. Also, I didn't let the truck warm up at all, rushed out......maybe that had something to do with it as well?

Old 06-02-2002, 10:20 AM
If the truck was "Missing" bad enough the Check Engine light would flash while the miss occurs.

I don't know the best place to buy the coil's but I do know that the one at the rear on the passenger side gets coolant leaked on it and they fail alot and cause a miss.

Don't buy any plugs that are hotter than OEM, they will can cause "Pinging" and in some cases a miss.

my .02

peace-

Quick Reply: engine stutter in 2001 5.4