Maintenance costs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance costs...

Let me apologize beforehand if this has been asked before, but I didn't find anything in my search.

I was wondering if anyone had information on any differences in the long term maintenance costs of the V10 vs the PSD. I don't NEED the PSD, but I may have happened across a deal too good to pass up. A dealer in the DFW area ran an ad in Sunday's Dallas paper advertising $8100 off MSRP on their PSD equipped SDs currently on the lot. This would let me get a PSD for about the same price as a V10. However, since I don't need the PSD, I don't want to do it if the maintenance costs on it are a lot more than the V10. My last truck had the V8, and I didn't have anything extraordinary required as far as maintenance goes (other than the computer being replaced under warranty).

BWT - Anyone done business/know anything about Randall Noe Ford (www.randallnoe.com) in Terrell, TX? [And no, don't go buy all of the PSDs off the lot!]

Old 05-06-2002, 05:07 PM
Cost me about 75 bucks to have an oil change done due to the amount of oil the PSD holds. Maintenence is higher than the V10 but the benefits out weigh the costs.

Old 05-06-2002, 06:36 PM
PSDs require more maintenance than the gasoline engines. They're parts wear out faster i think.

Old 05-06-2002, 08:24 PM
Hi JDM Lots of info. here & diesel bd and sites....just keep asking/looking. Im starting to get a re newed interest in the PSD.

Especially on new PSD from Ford..smaller, lighter and more hp/mpg. Will it be as good as the current PSD it will replace?..dont know..Maybe available late 03 or early 04?

The current PSD will cost more in normal maintenance than the V10. The V10 will cost you more than the V8.

That discount is terrific. Could be a winner/maybe not. Just do your homework before jumping in. Stripped down model VS Upgraded etc. That PSD got some awesome TQ.

Better mpg with diesel. Doing some simple math on maintenance cost will help. Gas/diesel fuel/mpg/oil/parts/filters etc. Of course if you DIY..that saves $$.

As i recall...diesels dont require a smog check? No ck. = savings.

Good luck...OT

Old 05-07-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by DanB 360
PSDs require more maintenance than the gasoline engines. They're parts wear out faster i think.

My PSD will be going long after any gasser engine has been reduced to rubble.

Old 05-07-2002, 05:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swofford is right, diesel engines have great longevity and the PSD will most likely last longer than a gasoline engine.

Old 05-07-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by hades281
Swofford is right, diesel engines have great longevity and the PSD will most likely last longer than a gasoline engine.
The above statement is right if all the veriables are similar but it seems to have a whole lot to do with :

1. who drives the truck
2. what kind of load the truck regularly carries
3. If PMs are regularly performed
4. see number one

we have a good size 'work truck' fleet and have some PSD that have given up while others are good as new with well over 300,000 miles. Interestingly enough we have quite a few 5.4L gassers that have been over 200,000 miles with no problem what so ever. We aslo have a couple 6.8L V-10s that are over 100,000 miles with, surprise, no problems.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the PSD, clatter and all but I think the diesel durability thing seems to get over rated when talking about a 'personal use' truck as many owners don't tend to keep their truck for more then ten years or 150,000 miles.

Then there is the initial cost hurdle (not in this case) and the $75-$100 oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, the noise, smell and 'dirty need to wear gloves to handle the nozzle' fuel stops (if they got diesel at your fav stop-n-pump) and I think some have the PSD for the status and macho image (nothing wrong here just a sub culture of the popular truck/suv thing for many)

But for those that tow heavy loads often, uphill both ways, there is no substitute.

Old 05-07-2002, 09:51 AM
What is the cost of doing a plug wire change and 10 new platinum plugs for the V-10?? Ouch!!

Get the PSD, wait for the new model... hopefully variable valve timing.

Weakest link is the trannies in these trucks. I guess it's the 4R100 in the PSD's, I could be wrong but if you tow a fifth wheel trailer (big one) you'll be replacing the tranny in 5 years.

Don't get a "jake brake", too hard on the 7.3L. My uncle had one, cost him some engine parts replacement. His engine & tranny bill was $3k.

Get a BIG tranny oil cooler, change fluid more often.

I have another friend who is a diesel lover. This guy can smell your exhaust and determine how good your burn profile is!!

Last edited by p_ferlow; 05-07-2002 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by p_ferlow

Weakest link is the trannies in these trucks. I guess it's the 4R100 in the PSD's, I could be wrong but if you tow a fifth wheel trailer (big one) you'll be replacing the tranny in 5 years.

Yes the trannies in the SD's can have problems. It is the 4R100, Ive been through two of them myself in my 01. However my Grabdfather has 70K on his 01 and not a hint of trouble so dont let that scare you off.

Old 05-07-2002, 06:46 PM

Can't speak from personal use, but an aquaintance of mine's husband had both the v-10 and the PSD, and said that for towing purposes it's hands down the winner is the PSD.

Old 05-07-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by p_ferlow
What is the cost of doing a plug wire change and 10 new platinum plugs for the V-10?? Ouch!!
well, not counting labor, about the same as ONE oil change in a PSD and you won't need to change your plugs every 3-5k

Quick Reply: Maintenance costs...