Throttle Body Cleaning

Old 02-08-2001, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Throttle Body Cleaning

I have 1997 f-150 4x4, 4.6L with the dreaded miss at idle. The truck has 87000 miles on it and I have the K&N filter kit installed. At idle when the truck is warm and has less than 1/4 tank of gas it misses. I have read most of the other posts on the subject and tested or changed several of the filters, pcv etc.. and still no fix. The throttle body is very dirty, but the haynes manual says not to use cleaners on it. Does anyone have a soultion?

Old 02-08-2001, 04:18 PM
I have an intake cleaner that works really well. It is a foaming cleaner that goes through your intake--where you airfilter is.

It will not hurt emmission equipment. The product is called power foam.

------------------
Lube-Direct

New Lubrication Forums

Old 02-08-2001, 08:51 PM
Cool

Ford says not to use cleaners because they have applied a coating to the inside of you intake. Any cleaners will damage this coating.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Factory moulded step boards, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Kenwood am/fm cassette head unit, PYLE 2000 Plus speakers, Ford bugshield, Black Manik push bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, wheel locks and spare tire lock, Ultra "Claw" wheels, Lund Lunar Visor, Ventshades, AVS slotted taillight covers painted to match, Ford bedliner, Lund Premier tonneau cover, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna and Astatic power mic, ported MAF sensor, Motorsport 9mm wires, dual platinum motorcraft plugs, K&N filter, Edelbrock throttle body, billit grille, and Lots of TLC!!

http://njf150truckclub.homestead.com/wyldf150.html

Old 02-08-2001, 09:25 PM
Fordflyer Just use some carb or throttle body cleaner on a rag or a nylon brush works the best. Thats what we use in our shop never mind what the sticker or manuals say I've cleaned more throttle bodys than you can imagime, this way dosen't hurt a thing.
21 years ase mechanic. dan

Old 02-08-2001, 10:43 PM
Thumbs up

I absolutely agree.....clean your throttle body. There is a D.A.G. coating that is applied by Ford that creates a controlled seal between the throttle plate and the aluminum casting. If you clean gently with a wet rag and toothbrush, ( I mean wet with GUMOUT or other carb cleaner), you won't remove enough of this coating to make a difference. The engine has an idle control solenoid that compensates for small differences in idle air anyway.

Old 02-09-2001, 07:27 AM
I have a better idea! Go to a local B&G dealer and have a complete engine decarb done with B&G products!!!

I've done this and WOW! Feels like you get as much power back to the engine as a Superchip gives! No kidding!

http://www.bgprod.com/

------------------
Rand

98 Ford Expedition 4X4 XLT
5.4, 3.73s, 17" wheels,
Homemade 3" "COLD" Air-Box
mod, SuperChip, Amsoil
everywhere but tranny, Perma-
Cool combo 6 pass trans/oil
cooler (FQR 5.4 @ 50K)

Old 02-10-2001, 12:34 AM
Try STP Throttle Body and Air Intake cleaner. Says safe for coatings.

Old 02-10-2001, 12:47 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I plan to clean it this weekend.

Old 02-10-2001, 04:35 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
FordFlyer,

When I ported mine it had metal shavings in it. I cleaned it in my kitchen sink with dish soap and water and brush. I was careful not to wet the tps contacts. No problem so far. I would suggest that any commercial product that claims safe for throttle bodies would be OK.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,