High mileage V10 and 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High mileage V10 and 5.4

Looking at used Super Dutys. Most have 100k miles. Should I have conccerns about the motor life after 100k?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2002, 09:17 PM
I have always been leary of gas engine over 100,000 miles i am pushing it in my 5.4 and have no real problems i.e. headgasket leak or pinging (at least not real bad pinging). If you really want a good high mileage engine and can utilize it look at the powerstroke. It is expensive and not rally the engine for around town but diesels do last longer. but they cost a hellova lot more to in all senses: maintenance & repair. I dont like the V10's because of gas mileage but I dont know anything about longevity. I can tell you that the V10 is the same engine as the 5.4 just with 2 more cylinders--look at the specs bore and stroke are equall. If you can find one with good maintenence records that would help a lot.

Old 04-18-2002, 11:27 PM
Hi Chris

JMO...so...100,000 thats the automatic red flag...if its cheap enough it may/maynot be a good deal? Most ive seen are AS IS.

Just use common sense. Somethings to consider with any hi mileage vehicle:

Do you personally know the person selling the vehicle?

If not...what verifiable repair records are there?

If you cant verify repairs and if your not qualified, it would be wise to have a professional ck it out...compression test/brakes etc etc etc etc etc.

Alot of variables. Not just 100,000 on motor..what about all the other parts..very possible to still have alot of orig. parts.

Good luck...OT

BTW....PSD...no different. Again how well was it maintained etc. Dont get fooled into "Well...diesels really last along time" Yes they do, again, alot depends on who owned them and if they did all the required maintenace, theres alot. Again..same for gas.

Old 04-19-2002, 01:36 AM
Old Timer makes some great points. The real key is knowing who you are buying from and the maintinence history. I would be very nervous in a sale from a "dealer" lot with a vehicle over 100,000 miles. On the other hand, I'd feel more confortable in a private sale if I could get maintinence records, etc...

I'll be selling my truck with 146,000 on it now in a month or two. I've already had several offers for good prices from folks who know how the truck has been treated and I have all my reciepts!

Old 04-19-2002, 08:16 AM
Smile OleTimer & Gopher Both Got the Right Idea

Originally posted by gopher
Old Timer makes some great points. The real key is knowing who you are buying from and the maintinence history. I would be very nervous in a sale from a "dealer" lot with a vehicle over 100,000 miles. On the other hand, I'd feel more confortable in a private sale if I could get maintinence records, etc...

I'll be selling my truck with 146,000 on it now in a month or two. I've already had several offers for good prices from folks who know how the truck has been treated and I have all my reciepts!
Knowing the history is pretty important. I wouldn't be all that afraid of a 100,000 mile motor that has been well maintained. H*LL I drive one every day on some pretty important trips. I tend to get a new F150 "work" truck every 3-4 years and rack up plenty of miles (often over 200k) on them before selling them (and remain friends with many buyers! In fact a buddy has my last 96 F150 5.4L and just made it to the 300k mark, that motor has never even had the valve covers off!)

My current company ride is an '00 F150 5.4L with 151k on the clock. It has never had need for anything other then routine maintenance and wear items. The motor remains very strong. I think I will easily cross the 200k mark trouble free.

Our company also has a few trucks with the 6.8L V-10. The fuel milage is NOT That bad (13 MPG combined) especially when you consider it great pulling power (310HP & 425 LB-FT) One of ours just crossed the 150K mark without any trouble and we'll keep her rolling till she stops (I can keep you posted as her driver is a real heavy footed type that oftentimes streaches his maintenace intervals quite a bit, I think if one is going to break bad it would be this one)

Petrol

Quick Reply: High mileage V10 and 5.4