injector clean and larger injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector clean and larger injectors

Is the best way to ensure your injectors get cleaned out to go to the dealer? Is $69.99 a reasonble price? Anyone had any luck with this? I have tried the addatives, but ya never know.

Has anyone replaced thier injectors? How about with larger ones on a 5.4L? Any difference noticed in performance or gas milage?

-jp

Old 04-04-2002, 06:12 PM
The dealers have a pretty good method of cleaning the intake. What we do is take some throttle body cleaner, spray down the throttle body and scrub it with a soft brush. They we take some super concentrated intake cleaner and pour it into this little machine that runs on compressed ait and hooks up to the throttle body, it sprays cleaner into the engine under pressure while it is running. It does a nice job of cleaning the crap out of the intake valves. Sometimes it makes a night and day difference on how well the vehicle runs. As far as cleaning the injectors themselves we pour a bottle of cleaner into the gas tank. It's probably the same stuff you buy in stores. $69.99 is the same price we charge.

If you really want to get the injectors clean go to a performance shop that has an ultrasonic injector cleaner. It usually only cost $20 per injector to have them cleaned, the only problem is they have to be removed from the vehicle to clean them. On some trucks you would run into hundreds of dollars of labor to have them removed. Not really worth it in my opinion.

I haven't replaced the injectors on any Fords but i have done it on other vehicles. It does give a nice power increase along with intake and exhaust mods, but you have to have the computer reprogrammed to make it work right, otherwise you will run really rich.

-Jon

Old 04-04-2002, 06:21 PM
milage

Does putting in new larger injectors decrease mileage?

I have already cleaned my throttle body. It was totally black. When I was done it was nice dull looking metal again. Is it worth paying $70 to have ford do more?? does the pressure treatment make much difference? I have 61k on my 5.4L. Do you think it would be worth it?

Thanks

-JP

Old 04-04-2002, 11:46 PM
Ford4ever

I would like to know how exactly you clean the throttle body at the dealerships. I noticed on my TB, it stated not to clean the TB due to a special coating. Anyways I ignored this and purchased a can of GUNK TB cleaner that is coating safe and planned to just spray, not brush the TB. I tried to use their method of pulling the intake tube off and starting engine but learned the hard way that the truck will not run with the air intake off. I may break down and just have Ford do it but then again I know where I can get a 3M kit that has the can of professional grade cleaner you hook to the fuel rail.

Old 04-05-2002, 07:33 AM
My Mechanic has a "Moto-vac" machine. He will individually unhook the fuel line from every injector and hook this up. I'm not totally sure how it works, but I do know that I had it done at to my 4.6 at 90k miles and noticed a minor power increase with an additional 2 mpg....back to almost new again!

The cost of this was 139.95 when he first bought the machine, but now it down to 79.95

Old 04-05-2002, 08:52 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
JP,

The injectors on the 5.4 and 4.6 are the same 19lbs units. If you increase the injector size on your engine you will run rich. The PCM controls the pulse width of the injectors and varry it according to engine displacement and intended use. If you do not modify the pulse width the PCM will be allowing too much fuel to flow.
If you want more power I would suggest a chip.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-05-2002, 01:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
medic , i have never heard of cleaning an injector like that. as i have been told before i am cynical and to clean the injectors like that for $79.00 sounds like a scam. all the injectors run off of a metal fuel rail and to pull the fuel rail and clean injectors would have to be more than $79.00. maybe i just havent seen it.

Old 04-06-2002, 11:29 PM
Is the "Moto-vac" machine a Ford dealer item. I am pretty sure all the hick, small-time garages around here would not have a machine like that?

Old 04-07-2002, 01:03 PM
KYFordFreak: We have some throttle plate safe cleaner that we just spray on there and and scrub off with a soft brush or a rag on the end of your finger. I haven'y noticed a performance increase by cleaning just the throttle plate, but sometimes the gas pedal will stick and get hard to push down. Cleaning the carbon and varnish and crap off of the throttle plate frees it right up, thats mostly what the customers notice after the cleaning.

-Jon

Old 04-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Ford4ever
Thanks for the info. I was a little nervous to start bushing away at the TB. I was trying to do as the can suggested and have the engine running and spray the cleaner into the TB while working the butterfly. I thought this would provide a much better cleaning but I guess the only way to do this is buy something that can be sucked up through a vacum line.

Old 04-07-2002, 11:19 PM
KYFordFreak, The "Moto-Vac" in question (I think) is made by Snap-On technologies. I'm almost sure that you are right about a small town garage not having it. I'm just lucky that my small town has a garage with more diagnostic equipment and state-of-the-art gadgets than any other garage or Ford/GM/Chrysler dealer in the surrounding 4 counties.

Brother Dave, This is a farly new item that my local mechanic just bought about a year ago. He depends on his customers to stay in business. I trust that he wouldn't attempt to scam anybody as this is a small city and word of anything travels very fast. I do know that he just dropped the price from $149.95 to $79.95 as he does with all specialty items once the equipment is payed for.

Another neat item he has is for A/C. Unlike most dealers in my area, including my local Ford dealer, who just add more freon or dye if there is a possable leak, he has a $8,000 machine that pressure tests and vaccum tests your A/C system and then puts the correct amount of freon back into the system for each particualr vehicle. All this takes about 30-45 minutes while he's away working on something else.

Old 04-08-2002, 11:54 AM
did the injector clean

I had the fuel system cleaned by Ford on Friday. It was well worth the money $69.99, $77 with sales tax. I cleaned the throttle body myself last week. When I started it was black as coal. When I finished it was totally clean. After leaving Ford, I noticed a difference right off the bat. I went in to ford with a poor attitude. I figured I may be wasting my money. I was very skeptical of the results. This leads me to believe that my seat of the pants difference in not placebo. It isn't running better just much smoother throttle response, and a little snappier. So I would suggest it!

John

-Its not like when your truck runs better after being cleaned!

Quick Reply: injector clean and larger injectors