comments on green and orange antifreeze

Old 01-02-2001, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm really confused!
I'm sitting here reading the label on a gallon jug of Prestone extended life coolant.
Some quotes off the jug- "exceeds all ASTM and SAE standards for corrosion protection",
"Meets Ford extended life coolant spec# WSS-M97B44-D", "Provides the protection to satisfy new vehicle warranties**" **= "Based on Prestone testing using current industry specifications". Last but not least it states again in quotes-"Add to any antifreeze,including DEX-COOL coolant".
Pretty tall words from a leading manufacturer about a coolant that is about to destroy uncounted engines, don't you think?

Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't tell what color mine was there was that much rust.

[QUOTE=Slickford;52183]I have seen first hand that the orange anti-freeze isnt any better than the green. I had a GMC Jimmy (company truck) with the V-6 Vortech engine, and it came with the orange, and it also said it would go 100,000 miles or 5 years, without a flush or change of coolant. The engine overheated about when the vehicle was 2 1/2 years old, causing a cracked manifold and coolant leaking and mixing with the oil.

I think GM uses the orange in all their vortech systems, but I am not sure. Any claims that the orange is somehow better than the green, I think are false.

I dont know of any fords that come with or recommend the orange.

I do think you would be better off changing it to what factory warranty specifies.

Good Luck, and Happy New Year![/QUOTE

------------------

​​​​​​here's the deal this is pretty much the solid. You can literally use either one but you have to flush out the other one almost entirely you don't want to mix the two because they have two different elements protecting against the corrosion and rust and the reason you can use either one is because the ph and all of that good stuff is the same you can use either one I personally shouldn't have got this Prestone orange stuff but I did because the water was so Rusty I couldn't tell what was in it before and it sure as hell wasn't green so I don't know what happened down the line but it looks like orange was used possibly and if that's the case it doesn't look like it did the job but then again it sat for a while and I'm in Washington so I'm already in a moist area. But what it boils down to with the two different active elements would be the metal in the motor. And all I know is electrolysis will eat aluminum fairly quick so I can't speak on which one is better but they aren't much different at all if it affects your warranty don't mess around with your warranty. I learned an old trick from an old school mechanic working on cop cars when I bought this Crown Vic a long time ago I found a ball of zinc molded to a small change and welded to the bottom of the reservoir cap so that the ball of zinc linger in the coolant and that would be so that the electrolysis could eat the zinc or attack of the zinc before it goes after the aluminum in that would be the theory. That would be theoretical 4 longer run times more miles without actually having to flush but don't think you can just drain your radiator real quick and put some new stuff in and call it good you have to drain fill run drain fill run and then drain fill and you're pretty good to run again and that's the minimum I just did it about eight times maybe six.. and honestly I got this orange stuff because of what it was marketed for and you know what I could care less because I'll probably flush this crap out in another month or two and just go ahead with the green because when these trucks were made they used the green. I think I'll go ahead and go with that, and if you don't know anything about the industry trust me, new highfalutin mainstream products are not designed to actually be better. I'll just leave you with that clue...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: comments on green and orange antifreeze