What fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What fuel?

Please, check sig. I'm always reading here, that you should use Shell, Texaco, Chevron, fuel, etc. Where does Quick Trip's gas fall into place? What octane should I be running? The manual, of course, says 87, but some guys told me that adding a higher octane fuel would help with my exhaust smell, as well as the black sooty build up on the tail pipe. Is this true? Then I hear in another post here, that the wrong octane will cause excessive carbon built-up. Me confused.

My last two tanks have been 89 octane, and the truck really seems to prefer it, but that doesn't mean it's good for it. I'm having an extensive systems check performed tomorrow morning to diagnose my smelly exhaust problem...will the 89 throw it off any? TIA!!!

-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4X4 Off-Road, S/C, FS, Black[*] 4.6L Triton V8 HPI[*] 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle[*] Keyless[*] Premium Audio CD

Mods:[*] K&N Cold Airbox / Throttle Body Mod.[*] Flowmaster 40 (3" x 20" "Turn-Down") [*] Cranked Torsion Bars[*] APC XENON PLASMA Super Whites[*] Bugshield[*] Bedliner[*] Ventshades[*] "Light Argent" 4X4 Off-Road Decals[*] K&N & Flowmaster Stickers (Under the Hood)

Audio:[*] Rockford Fosgate G360A2 Punch Amp[*] JL 12W3-D2 (JL ProWedge Box)

Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

arobbins@mail.liberty.k12.mo.us

Old 11-28-2000, 04:13 PM
The gas brand has a lot to do with what area of the country you live in.Where I live the chevron sucks and so does the shell.Texaco is the best in my area.

As far as running a higher ocane fuel goes.It indeed may make your problems seem to go away.All it is really doing is masking them.These trucks are made to run on 87 octane fuel.If they don't run right on it, there is something wrong.

The sooty tail pipe thing- I had it for the 1st 7000 miles then it mysteriously went away.Didn't do anything to my truck or change fuel brands.SO I don't know about that one.

Old 11-28-2000, 04:22 PM
Question

Huh...so are their any negative effects to using 89 octane? Will it acually run better on 87?

-AR

Old 11-28-2000, 05:01 PM
I have been using Coastal 89 octange for about a year, and my truck seemed to prefer that. Used to get alot of spark knock running 87 octange especially under load. Lately I've noticed the knock is back, so, I put in 10 bucks of Gulf 87 octange and it runs a hell of alot better. I'm going to fill up with a tankful of Texaco 87 and see how it runs on that. (I'd try a full tank of Gulf but that station is increadibly overpriced for the area, 15 cents higher there than any other station, go figure?)

My point? Try some other stations see how your truck runs.

Hobbit

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Side Steps and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover, still want a Superchip and by golly I'm gonna get one (just as soon and I hit the lottery )

Old 11-28-2000, 05:04 PM
I use Texaco, and Citgo both work great for me.

Old 11-28-2000, 09:06 PM
Running higher octane fuel won't hurt anything but your pocketbook.If my truck ran like sh** on every brand 87 octane then I would take it in. The higher octain fuels have more anti-knock properties, but The truck is made to run on 87 and shouldn't knock when using it.With your truck's problems I would run 87 and make ford fix the problem,not cover it up(like running a higher octane fuel will do). I hope this helps.

Old 11-29-2000, 12:00 AM
Smile

I now have over 8,800 miles on my truck and have kept extensive milage records with 87, 89, 93 Octane gas. The 89 Octane has performed the best both milage wise with a .96 mpg increase over 87 and performance wise (pinging climbing etc. . .). Interesting, the 92/93 Octane performs worst milage wise! When you consider the improvement in milage the 89 Octane at 8 to 12 cents more per gallon is about a break even outlay. The detergent addatives will save me in the future. That is one reason why high performance autos spec 89+.

------------------
2001 SuperCrew 4x4 "Mighty Whitey" Lariat "Loaded". Oxford White (No Stickers, Yuck!)
-Ultra Polish Alum. Wheels(type 160)
-BFG 285 R16 ATs
-Billet Grill
-Stainless Werks Nerf Bars
-KC Driving Lights (in Grill)
-WMS Volocity Tube
-K&N Filter
-Husky Mats, front & rear
-Husky Mud Flaps
-GPS (on board)
-Wired for phone (no accidents!)
-SnugTop, SnugLid Tonneau