cold start clicking

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Im not sure if the belt has been "Updated" or not.
When my 1999 5.4 had about 3,000 miles on it, it developed a loud ticking/popping noise. At first i thought it was a lifter/valve noise. Come to find out it was a bad belt. The dealer re-aligned one of my pulleys and slapped a new belt on...17k no more popping noises...only an occational sqeak on cold mornings. ---You might ask if they checked the alignment of you pulleys...this was what they blamed my belt failure on.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT SuperCab - Sport Package, 5.4L, 3:55 Ratio, 2WD, Gold/Tan, (MFG date 5/99)
Mobile1/802s

Old 10-17-2000, 11:40 PM
I have a similar problem with my 2000 5.4. It is getting progressively worse--louder and lasting longer. Now has 1500 miles. Of course, it doesn't make the noise for the service manager. Guess I'll have to leave it overnight.

Old 10-18-2000, 12:27 AM
Post cold start clicking

Recently developed a cold start clicking or
rattle (hard to describe) that went away after 1 - 10 minutes later. Sounded like
a rock or two in your hubcap. Also had a random belt squeel. The knock seemed to come
from the top end of the engine (hard to tell). Dealer changed the belt with what he said was an updated belt. So far it has done
the trick (knock on wood). No noises at start
up for over a week and it has been cold.
Has anyone else heard of this new belt or
was I being told a story.

Old 10-18-2000, 02:42 PM
i had the same problem on my 98.
i took it to dealership twice and both times they heard no noise.
it only does it in the cold.i went to pick it up first time and it took them ten minutes to get it to me after they radioed it in.he turned off truck and started it back up and said "NO NOISE" they did this the second time too. i think there is a big problem they are trying to avoid.both times i took it my truck was under warranty and it isnt anymore. how much will this cost to fix or just i scream at the service manager and demand they fix it for free.

Old 10-18-2000, 02:52 PM
svtaudio,
As far as i know, the only thing the mechanic did to my 99 was re-align the pulleys and replaced the belt. I didn't have time to bring the truck in. I spoke with one of the mechanics and he asked me to take a squirt bottle the next time it started making the noise and squirt the belt...as soon as i hit it with a little water all of the popping went away. I did this for three days in a row, then called the mechanic back, when i told him the water worked...he said bring it in, its the belt. So far so good. Mine also only did it when cold. The only way they are going to hear the noise is if it has been sitting overnight...cold and at first start. I would ask to be present when they first start the engine up.
''''If you have the symptoms documented by the dealership within the factory warranty, they should pay for it. It is there fault that this wasn't taken care of the first time you brought it in.....(well, thats my opinion..)

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT SuperCab - Sport Package, 5.4L, 3:55 Ratio, 2WD, Gold/Tan, (MFG date 5/99)
Mobile1/802s

[This message has been edited by ksdoxey (edited 10-18-2000).]

Quick Reply: cold start clicking