Outran a 6.0 Liter Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Outran a 6.0 Liter Chevy

I went and visited a friend this weekend and he his truck is a 2000 model chevy 2500 series with a 6.0 liter, 3.73 gears with LS, We thought it would be fun to go race them by his house where there are brand new roads but no people. We raced from dead stop to about 70mph which each time my 5.4 superchipped would pull by about 2 car lengths, I was actually expecting to get blown away, he also had a work truck (He owns a sprinkler system company)that is a stripped long bed with a 4.8, amazingly the 4.8 was almost as fast. Im sure the 6.0 would probably outpull me, the 4.8 wasnt faster but it impressed me it was almost as fast as me (Only about 4 car lengths behind)
just thought I would share my fun. One thign I can say is later when we went driving around, GM motors sure like to rev, that thing shifted at least 500 rpm higher then my Ford.

Old 09-18-2000, 02:46 PM
Unhappy

That's funny. I have a 2000 5.4 4x4 ext. cab and I can't even chirp the tires from a dead stop. I drove several Chevy 5.3L half-tons before I bought my F-150 and they could all boil the tires through the intersection from a dead stop. I guess I'm just unlucky.

Old 09-19-2000, 12:01 AM
DarnEFNET,

Was the chevy an automatic?, 4x4?, Ext-Cab? What are the specs of your 5.4L? 3.73 gears?, Ext-Cab?, 4x4?

True. The new chevys do rev very high. My roomate's got a 2000 5.3L 3.73LS 3/4ton long bed, standard cab automatic chevy 2WD. It's got a whole lot of top end, but nowhere near our low end grunt (where it counts for a truck). If you look at my specs, I can break my tires loose, no problem. His stock chevy, they only screatch around corners. I haven't raced him yet. And I'm kind of wary about it (next paragraph).

I was back home in Galveston (but without the Superchip and exhaust) this summer. And I floored it at a stoplight, and some grandpa was tryin to get to the complete right lane (I didn't know, I just thought he wanted to race). He pulled all he could out of his new chevy (99 or 00), and he finally got out in front and on the other side of me. I was embarassed, scorned (by me), shamefull, and laughing all at once. He was driving a 1/2ton short bed, reg cab 2WD(other specs, I'm not sure). Much different in comparison, but still, I was impressed with his truck's pickup.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 5.4L XLT X-Cab, Tow Pkg ORP,heavy duty alternator, factory tranny and engine oil cooler
8.8 front/9.75 LS rear, 3.55 gears, K&N Gen II, 40 Flomaster (w/4" chrome tip), Superchip, 32x11.50 Swampers
-future mods
JBA headers (Jet-hot coated), Flex-a-lite, JL Audio subs, Sony CD-Player, Magnacharger, cowl induction, straight axle conversion (8 inch lift w/crossover steering), 4.56 gears, 38.5x16 Boggers, Dana 60 front, Dana 70 rear (Detroit locker)

Old 09-19-2000, 01:04 AM
Stratos:
don't feel bad, unless it is raining and i'm going around a corner I can't scratchem' either.
Everyone around here brags about how much power they have, but it seems like I have absolutly no low-end. Unless my motor is spinning above 3g it's useless.

I was out camping and scoping a spot and had to put it into 4-low/1st gear just to make a 25% grade. Even then i was struggling.
I had a ranger w/ a v-6 5spd, and a small lift. I could fly up hills in 4hi or 4-low. Either way I could do it from a stand still and could easily raise the front 2 out of the air as i topped any steep hill. I had to pull a 2wd s-10 out of a deep hole (he rolled his truck down a small hill). 4-low and 2nd gear, I was never lacking power. I would be affraid to try and help any one in this truck.

The dealer recently reprogrammed my pcm. I hope that helps. I might suggest to do the same, it's worth a shot.

Old 09-19-2000, 06:07 PM
Well, I don't know if I'd say it was useless below 3K but it definitely doesn't snap my head back like those Chevy's did. I drove two similar F150s and their performance was virtually identical. Thanks for the sympathetic words though. Post the results of your pcm reprogramming. I'm curious. BTW, what year is yours?

I traded my 4.0L 5spd Ranger to get this thing. That truck was a lot of fun to drive.

Old 09-19-2000, 07:12 PM
I couldn't scratch my tires when I first bought the truck. I ordered it just the way I wanted it, as cheap as I could get it. The tires were the infamous 235/70R16 Generals (cheap and SHORT). I couldn't break them loose as hard as I tried especially in the middle of the summer (June, July, August). I bought the JET chip and a little of that changed. But when I bought the 32" Swampers, I went back to truck lug-a-lot. And then, when I bought the Gen II this summer and swapped the JET for a Superchip... it's a challenge for me not to break the tires loose... in Texas, at 4PM, with hot, sticky, heavy Swampers.... with 3.55 gears. Barrrrrrrrrrrrk!!

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 5.4L XLT X-Cab, Tow Pkg ORP,heavy duty alternator, factory tranny and engine oil cooler
8.8 front/9.75 LS rear, 3.55 gears, K&N Gen II, 40 Flomaster (w/4" chrome tip), Superchip, 32x11.50 Swampers
-future mods
JBA headers (Jet-hot coated), Flex-a-lite, JL Audio subs, Sony CD-Player, Magnacharger, cowl induction, straight axle conversion (8 inch lift w/crossover steering), 4.56 gears, 38.5x16 Boggers, Dana 60 front, Dana 70 rear (Detroit locker)

Old 09-19-2000, 08:43 PM
I got a new company truck in June-a chevy burb 2500 with the 6.0. Have over 6k on since june and have got real used to it. The thing is a real brute & in a lot of cases will outrun the Lariet. There are places where the Ford will out-finesse the burb. I think with a 5.4 in the Lariet there wouldn't be any place the chevy would be better. By the way, I don't get to pick company trucks.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-K&N-3"
pvc air box mod-Granetelli MAF

Old 09-19-2000, 11:02 PM
Question

My Truck runs strong, especially with all of the mods I've done, but it never has been able to break the tires loose. Even with the small stock tires, unless the pavement is wet. I feel that I have a hesitation when I first step on the gas, then it takes off. Not bad. But it falls flat on its face when it shifts into 2nd gear. I think it shifts too soon so when it goes into 2nd, it doesn't sustain enough rpm's to keep its power. Third is better, but not perfect either! If only I could figure this out!

------------------
1999 F-250LD 4X4 XLT Supercab, Short Bed, 5.4L, AT, 3.73LS, 33"Wrangler ATS, Custom Dual Exhaust, Custom Air Intake, Superchip, Factory Step Bars, Tinted Windows, Vent Visors, Diamond Tool Box & Bed Rails, Color: Harvest Gold cc "Ready to Farm"

Old 09-20-2000, 03:12 AM
Exclamation

I have drove both a 97 4.8? v-8 and a 98 5.4.
The 98 would smokem'(3.55 rear-end) like no tommorrow into 2nd, then take off like a rocket. The small 8 would spin them for a sec then take off.

I need to fill up tomorrow and start checking milage. So far there appears to be no improvement in power. Punch it and a slow varroomm, then the tach starts to rise.
My friend has a 99 dodge w/ the 360/auto/3.55 gears and it will get up and move. I drove it when it was brand spankin' new and it's spinem' easy going around turns.
I'm lucky to get a small scratch going around turns right now.

Ya i know, blah blah blah, bing bing blah, you dont get a truck to race, spin the tires and yadda yadda yadda. THATS YOUR OWN OPINION. A truck is supposed to have POWER, that will enable you to move moutains, spin tires or climb hills if you choose. My old 89 ranger would spin 'em like crazy on wet ground. 1st and 2nd gear. From what i've experienced w/ mine vs others that i've drove and what I'm hearing here i'm thinking that i just got a lemon.
I'll probably wait and see if they can do anything else, if not i'll find a shark, umm i mean lawyer to do the paper work.

[This message has been edited by powerlifter405 (edited 09-20-2000).]

Old 09-20-2000, 09:26 PM
Talking

I have a 97 4.6L Lariat and my dad has a 99 5.4 lariat, and i can chirp the tires good; for some reason his truck doesnt. He still has the advantage because he smokes me like theres no tomarrow

Old 09-20-2000, 10:18 PM
I posted in an earlier thread that my tires do not break loose either. Well, a few exceptions, one noticable. If the truck is on any grade uphill at all, it will spin them. Left a 10' patch from an intersection today. What really suprised me though was about a week ago. To leave my niegborhood, you have to turn left onto a 45mph road. The sight distance to the right is short, so if there is a break in traffic from the left and the right is clear you gotta go now. So I get on it, not floored, go straight across the crossing lane, then crank the wheel hard left and nail the gas some more. The rear end always chirps around that corner, but this time the whole rear end broke loose and did a nice 20 foot slide sideways to the right with the tires howling the whole time, then kinda fishtailed a little back to the left. I'm kinda used to that from the Mustang, but not from the truck BTW It was dry and hot on asphalt.

I gotta get something to replace that tube to the TB. That thing looks huge on the outside, but is tiny on the inside.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

Old 09-20-2000, 10:58 PM
Question

Does anyone have any opinion on the throttle hesitation, or the poor shifting into second? I keep getting the run around.

------------------
1999 F-250LD 4X4 XLT Supercab, Short Bed, 5.4L, AT, 3.73LS, 33"Wrangler ATS, Custom Dual Exhaust, Custom Air Intake, Superchip, Factory Step Bars, Tinted Windows, Vent Visors, Diamond Tool Box & Bed Rails, Color: Harvest Gold cc "Ready to Farm"

Old 09-21-2000, 01:00 AM
I know this has been about late model f150's but I just want to say that I have a 94 F-150 with a Super Cab, 4x4 and a 351. And I can't even try to excelerate or else I light the tires up completely. Its almost annoying, but it sounds cool, but expensive too. The downside is I probably couldn't outrun crap becuase of the fact that I can't excelerate becuase I actually wouldnt go anywhere cause of the rear wheels spinning.

Old 09-21-2000, 06:32 PM
Chris Kovach,

Ditto. Whoop!! And a hell yes! Kind of a circling reasoning thing. It's cool, but it's bad, but it's cool, but it's bad...

------------------
-future mods

Old 09-22-2000, 06:31 PM
wow, the thread grew since I was gone, back to the original question, my truck is a 2000 f150 supercab 4x2 with 5.4, flowmaster exhaust and a superchip. speaking of tires breaking loose, when I first bought mine with 7 miles on it, I would not break the tires loose from a dead stop even on asphault. now after 5k miles it has no problem breaking them loose ( I do have LS)btw I have about 400lbs of tolls in my toolbox also.

Quick Reply: Outran a 6.0 Liter Chevy