K&N or Airaid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K&N or Airaid?

I'm thinking of making my first big mod by installing a FIPK. I've heard great things about the performance enhancements using both the K&N and Airaid products. I've also heard a couple of negative comments as well. Like hissing noises from the massive air intake. I even heard one dealer say that they shoot oil into the fuel intakes which degrades engine life. Is there any truth to this? A little hissing under the hood as I smoke my buddy's Tundra off the line isn't gonna bother me but I don't want to hurt my truck! Another concern I have is with installation. I'm no dummy but I don't work on a NASCAR pit crew either! Can I handle this job myself?

------------------
Stock Stuff:
Y2K SCab 4X4, Chesnut Metallic, 5.4L, 3.55 Limited Slip, Skid Plates, Factory AM/FM/CD, 40/60 Split Bench, Sliding Rear Window, Towing Package and Keyless Entry.

Extras so far:
305/70X16 GY Wrangler AT's on American Eagle Series 146 chrome wheels.

Future plans:
Flowmaster or Gibson exaust system, spray in liner, stainless step bars, hood deflector, chip?, K&N? we'll see.

Old 08-17-2000, 05:40 PM
What's up Onemilmhz!

You really can't go wrong with either one. They are both excellent products. They are also about the same price. Also from what I hear the Airaid might have some problems at Smog time. I've got the Airaid, I love it. It looks great and no hissing. I have not had to Smog yet. We'll see!

Good Luck

------------------

1997 F150 XLT 4.6L Auto 4x4 ORP SC 3.55LS Oxford white, Med. Graphite Int. White Faced Gauges,Bed Cap,Superchip,AirRaid,Bosch+4,9MM FMS Wires,Bug Deflector. Rancho RSX Shocks, 3" Flowmaster 40 series,Bassani Nascar Tip. 285/75/16 BFG AT's, 16x8 Centerline 45 series

[This message has been edited by 97F150 (edited 08-17-2000).]

Old 08-17-2000, 07:54 PM
I just bought the Airraid and installed it yesterday and the performance gain is very noticable. However, I think I went over my head on the mods and I have a concern with warm air going into the engine. Some say it's not a big issue, some say it is.

I can't make up my mind to keep it or not but if you're interested, I'm willing to sell it for $200 including shipping. You'll pay over $225 from this online store. If I send it back, I get dinged a 20% restocking fee. If I can't sell it, I'll probably keep it. Again, it's only a day old. I have receipts to prove it.

Blue

Old 08-17-2000, 08:18 PM
they are both great I went with the K&N do to immision testing, and it is Carb certified.
Blue2000Expy you said the performance gain is very noticable, that shoud ease your concerns with the underhood temps. Just enjoy it, and don't worry about it.
If you have to do a emission test put the stock air cleaner back on get the test and then put the FIPK back on.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bullet Cat Back, Superchip, K&N FIPK Intake.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.
Alpine CDA-7845, ADS P640 Amp, Focal Poly Kevlar seperates.

[This message has been edited by Don C (edited 08-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Don C (edited 08-17-2000).]

Old 08-17-2000, 08:22 PM
Cool

onemilmhz,

If you're interested in a way cool stainless steel alternative to the K&N and Airaid, check out my review and pictures of the Airforce One air intake system at:
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/001049.html

------------------
2001 SuperCrew XLT 4x2, 5.4 L, Bright Red/Medium Graphite, Power Captain's Chairs, 3.55 Limited Slip, Trailer Tow Pkg, Cab Steps, Bed Extender, 6-Disc CD, Keyless Remote, Line-X Sprayed-On Bedliner, Lund Trident Bug Deflector, AirForce One Intake System, 20mm Autoloading Rotary Cannon (just kidding . . . ), Ordered 3/29/00, Serialized 5/11/00, Build Date 6/5/00, Delivered 6/27/00

Planned Mods: Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover, on order

Old 08-17-2000, 09:39 PM
Cool

Autoloadr,
That thing looks sweet! The only concern I have is with the stainless steel turning blue from heat like stainless exaust pipes sometimes do. Other than that it looks like a sweet setup. I think I'll check out their site. Thanks for the info.

Blue2000expy & Don C,
Isn't there some way to vent cool air around the filter? I thought I saw on one of the websites (here, K&N or Airaid's) some type of half airbox which took air in from the fender. I could be wrong or it may have been a custom job. Either way I would think this could be possible somehow.

Old 08-18-2000, 03:01 AM
Cool

The polished 304 aircraft grade stainless steel used in the AirForce One kit doesn't come close to getting hot enough to turn blue. Also, the AirForce One hardware is aircraft grade...no hardware store parts in this kit! SportTruck magazine did an independent dyno of this kit on their Expedition and showed a 17.9hp increase. An intake doesn't get anywhere near as hot as an exhaust system does. They retail for $259.00 complete!

Old 08-18-2000, 03:05 PM
Onemilmhz,

Well I out back the Airraid last night while I was installing by billet grill after having going back to the stock intake the day before. I looked at where the top of the filter was against under the hood and it looked like it was hitting it. This was after following the instructions from Airraid. There's a lip where the the "L" bracket mounts onto. Instead of mounting on top, I mounted below the lip to lower the ailter placement thus fixing that problem. You know, the truck does run allot better than stock even with a drop in K&N filter. I guess I'll leave the Airraid in because I just can't go back to stock.

Blue

------------------
2000 5.4 Expedition -Eddie Bauer 4x4. Wedgewood Blue.

Mods include:
-SuperChip
-Airraid intake
-Gibson Sweptside 3" Catback

Old 08-18-2000, 11:11 PM
Smile

After reading what some of you have mentioned about the cost of the airaid and K&N GenII kits wanted to share with you what I found after making 1-800 calls to 12 dealers that advertise the kits in various magazines. California Concepts in Huntington Beach,Ca. gave me the best price of $165.00 For the airaid kit and $191.00 for the K&N GenII. ( I ordered the Airaid) The other 11 dealers I called quoted me prices from $195 to $229 on both kits. I questioned the operater at cal concepts to make sure he was giving me the right price for the right product for my truck (98 4.6 auto) After he assured me everything was correct I placed my order. It really does pay to shop around!!! check out www.calconcepts.com Their phone # is 1-800-397-1161

------------------
runtune2 98 F150

Quick Reply: K&N or Airaid?