Powerdyne SC still sucking wind!!! (but not giving me any!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2000, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Powerdyne SC still sucking wind!!! (but not giving me any!)

It's been awhile since I've vented about my month-and-a-half old Powerdyne supercharger so I thought I'd update everybody and ask for a little more advice. I've had my SC on since the middle of June and so far have had no benefit from it. I had to send back the fuel regulator that came with it because it leaked. A fuel pressure gauge showed that it was not giving any more than stock fuel pressure before the repair. I returned it to Powerdyne and they repaired it and sent it back, supposedly ready to go. Even though it did not leak anymore, it still didn't boost my fuel pressure. Stock pressure runs from roughly 32 to 40 psi. The regulator is supposed to raise that pressure to 65-70 psi under full boost (6 psi). I've never seen more than 40 psi, and that was checked while driving the truck. Powerdyne insists that the regulator checked out before they sent it back to me. I have not installed a boost gauge or a fuel pressure gauge, so what should I do next? I've been told that this, and maybe any, supercharger does not register boost unless the motor is under load (pulling the truck, not just revving it up in Park). How can I check whether I'm even getting boost at operating speed? I really don't want to send this thing back to them, because I've spoken to too many people who've had no trouble with this SC and I think it is exactly what my truck needed, if only I were getting the benefit out of it. So far I haven't. As soon as this is ironed out I plan to install headers, plugs, wires, and maybe a Superchip. I've been in touch with Gorp and kevin3636, who both have these units installed and have no complaints. Is there anyone else out there with a Powerdyne who's had similar problems or any suggestions? I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks!

1997 F150 Lariat S/C 4x2 SWB, 4.6, 4R70W auto, 3.55, Powerdyne supercharger, single Flowmaster muffler, 17" ORP wheels w/ 275/60R17 Eagle GTII's, Extang soft tonneau cover, Ford bedliner, Kenwood CD head unit, Sony 50Wx2 amp w/ 10" Kicker boxes, Oxford White over Tan Metallic, and that #6 Valvoline tag on the front!

Future mods: Motorsport headers, Superchip, Motorsport 9mm plug wires & Bosch plugs

Old 07-31-2000, 06:30 PM
hate to say it, but the powerdyne units suck for reliability. The belts break all the time and CS sucks. Check out the Corral and post this message about the unit (http://www.corral.net). You will get a lot of negative response back about Powerdyne.

Personally, the superchargers that seem to be the most reliable with the mustang crowd (5.0 and 4.6) is the Vortec.

Sorry to post a negative here. If you can send it back, that may be the best thing to do.

Old 07-31-2000, 09:23 PM
Unhappy

I would DEFINITELY get a boost/ vacuum gauge. It can tell you wonders whether your truck is running ok.
On my previous truck ('94 Chevy K1500 350 w/ B&M 144 supercharger-roots style). I went through hell after the install to get it running ok.

One problem I had it was running too lean and NO power; it later turned out to be a bad vacuum line to the egr valve. It had a tiny little cut on it, and it wasn't visible. But you could feel it when you put your finger on it.
Another one was my fuel regulator's was clogged. There's a little diaphram that moves in & out that controls fuel. I sent it back to B&M and it turn out it had debris stuck in the diaphram restricting it. They told me all it takes is a little particle to cause problems.
Also, I'm not too familar with Powerdynes, but did it come with a hi-flow fuel pump? You might want to look at the pump if you're not getting more than 40psi.
The only way you'll know if you're getting boost is with a boost/ vacuum gauge. I suggest one that reads 30 in.Hg./ 10 psi. When your truck is at idle it should have vacuum between 10-20 in.Hg. Even if you rev the engine; you may not get any boost, but you will see the vacuum moving towards 0. Basically, the truck has to be at 1/2-WOT before you will see boost. Even driving on the hwy with the cruise control; you will have some vacuum and no boost.

Hope some of this helps. I could go on and on. But get the vacuum/ boost gauge; it's a wonderful diagnostic tool.

------------------
1999 F250 LD S/C XLT 4x4
5.4L, 3.73, 4R100 trans.
Flowmaster 40 series, K&N, Poweraid, Superchip, Rancho RSX shocks, Stull billet grille, 2-PIAA Pro80XT's (120W), 2-KC Daylighters (150W)
265/70 R17 BFG AT KO's on 17x8 American Racing Atlas rims
Kenwood 7000 CD, Alpine 3342 Signal Processor, Alpine MRV-F353 5Ch. Amp, Pioneer TS-A6865 3-way speakers. CompuStar alarm/autostart. Coming soon: MTX Thunderforms box

[This message has been edited by Jupiterak (edited 07-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jupiterak (edited 07-31-2000).]

Old 08-01-2000, 10:36 AM
Fordman3,

If you don't want to install a vac./boost guage, temporarily hook up a hand held (mechanic's) vac./boost guage and tape it to the windsheild. That's what I did when I installed my supercharger. I had to trace down a problem also. I had an Airaid on before the install and switched back to the stock duct work for the supercharger. It turned out I didn't have the MAF plug snapped all the way in. The truck didn't like that at all. Of course, we both have completely different superchargers, but I can blip the throttle and get boost now. Before, it wouldn't take throttle very well at all. It may not be what's wrong with your's, but if you've had the MAF plug disconnected, make sure it is fully seated. You shouldn't be able to pull the plug out by the boot. I acquired a few more grey hairs before I was able to trace that one down.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Magnacharger supercharger. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door.

[This message has been edited by 98fword (edited 08-01-2000).]

Old 08-01-2000, 01:01 PM
Fordman3

Jupiterak is right. You will need a hi-flow fuel pump that mounts in your gas tank.... I believe the stock unit is only rated up to 40PSI. You can check with a knowledgeable High-Performance parts dealer to cross reference it..

------------------
99 4X4 XLT S/C with ORP
5.4L 3.73LS
Flow Master Dual Exhaust
K&N Filter w/ Intake Mod
Flex-a-Lite Black Magic 150 Electric Cooling Fan
Jason "Hugger" Truck Lid

Old 08-01-2000, 04:50 PM
Hey All,

I really don't think it could be the fuel pump. Mine works just fine even though I would prefer to install an aftermarket one myself. The only problem I had during the installation was that the main connector to one of the coil packs was not fully seated, allowing my engine to misfire. Luckily I caught it before any damage was done. But I agree with installing the boost/vac gauge. It's a wonderful diagnostic tool. Just my 2cents.

98 Nascar Edition

Homepage http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/jackhel/index.html (I have some serious updating to do to my site.)

Powerdyne Supercharger, Superchip, Autometer Boost Gauge and Pod, K&N Filter, TransGo Performance Shift Kit, Dynomax Ultra Flow Exhaust, Taylor 8mm wires And Bosch Plantinum Spark Plugs, Gutted MAF, 4.10 Rear End Gears, 275/55-16 Tires, XTRA Bright Halogen Lights, Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic 0w-30 Motor Oil, 2 inch rear lowering shackles, G-Tech Pro Series II, Bedliner, 100w driving lights, Cobra 75WXST CB Radio, Wilson Little Wil Antenna, and some other stuff I can’t remember.

[This message has been edited by jackhel (edited 08-01-2000).]

Old 08-01-2000, 11:05 PM
fordman3: Just a thought. If you are seeing NO boost, and NO gains, I'd lean towards a broken belt LOL. You might be spinning the blower pulley and not getting a thing. If you take the discharge tube off the super is it pumping some serious air?

------------------
1995 F-150 Regular Cab Flareside w/ 302 V8... Mods: Mass Air, K&N FIPK, Dual Exhaust (no mufflers), Lund Premier Tonneau Cover, Motorsports 9mm Plug Wires, full JL/Kicker/Pioneer system, Autometer 5" tach, Superchip, Precision Gear 3.73s, TD Chrome Diff Cover

Best 1/8th ET: 10.4107 @ 65.9587 MPH

The F-150 Resource Guide

The F-150 Resource Guide-- a site dedicated to 1987 through 1996 F-series trucks.

Old 08-02-2000, 04:14 AM
Exclamation

hey give me a callfordman 3.mike got my chip today,back in oct.99 i had my truck in at ford to have some stuff done.the reprogramed my computer .when i got it i asked them if my code was still an IMP4,they said yes.so i got my chip for an IMP4.well you know what i have on my truck,so i sent my chip in to reburn.i told mike about this.he asked for the numbers off the reburn sheet under my hood.turns out to be a IMP5 now.the chip still worked,but it didn't seem to be 24hp and 40 lb to me.i hope with this new code and cos. programe it will come together.well call me . KEVIN 3636

Old 08-04-2000, 05:34 PM
I dunno if its ok to post from another board, but it seems people from other boards are having the same problem with their PD SC as you are. Heres a link, u can read it over.
http://forum.sportruck.com/showpost....mode=flat&sb=5

Cpt1

Quick Reply: Powerdyne SC still sucking wind!!! (but not giving me any!)