Super Chip and Octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Super Chip and Octane

Is it true that you have to use premium gas or high octane 93% after installing a super chip? If so, I am not sure if the higher gas cost is worth the extra horse power.

Old 12-27-2001, 02:31 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Yes it is true and yes it is worth it. People pay a lot more for bolt-ons that give you less in the way of performance. Right now premium 93 octane fuel is $1.19 a gal here on the east coast. Even when it was up to $1.89 a gal last summer I never considered taking out the chip.

Old 12-27-2001, 02:33 PM
Yes, it's true, you must use 91-94 octane with a 'chip'. Mike Troyer(Superchip Dist.) can give you cost justifications if you'll ask him on the 'Computer Chips' board.

Dan

Old 12-27-2001, 06:19 PM
WLF,

Thanks...how much real horse power gain did you notice after installing the chip. I have a 98 4.6L engine similar to yours. Power is OK, but I am looking for something that will add real horse power. So far, all I have added is the K&N filter--not much change.

Old 12-28-2001, 07:24 AM
BTW: Its not a question of "can you" or "can't you" run 91 octane YOU MUST or risk engine damage!

As for justifying the price... Dont count on it! I and many others di not see any "increased MPG"... Yes you can feel a difference with the chip. At least in my 5.4 Expedition. Faifly nice gain, but most (75%) of your 0-60 time comes from the firm shifts... Its a good mod for the money and easy to install. BUT HARD AT THE PUMP! I agree with prices down its a no brainer... But when I was paying $1.89 to $1.99 for 30 gallons... OUCH! Was not worth the extra money...

For quick, cheap, and easy performance gains BUY THE CHIP!

Old 12-28-2001, 08:13 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crain,
I don't know that it is that much horse power when you talk about the gains. What I got was much faster responce and good peddle "feel". Also the nice improvement in shifting was a real benefit.
If you are looking for that kind of horse power gain you will have to add something like a blower (and spend a lot more money). If you are asking can you feel the difference then ABSOLUTELY. Much more gain then the filtercharger.
As for the gas prices, when 93 octain was $1.89, regular gas was $1.69, still a 20 cent difference. Sure it cost a lot more to fill the tank, but the difference between regular and super remains the same. I still think it is worth it.

Old 12-28-2001, 08:51 AM
I installed a superchip yesterday. The 4.2 V6 is normally a little sluggish. I got a noticeable gain in throttle response. No spinning tires though.

Old 12-28-2001, 11:00 AM
I installed a superchip yesterday

I installed a superchip last night, and then took it for a spin!!!

I noticed sharper shifts and better throttle response, I had me and my dad int the truck, we went down the highway and punched it and Damn it well push you back in your seat more than before, and yes it hauls *** now.....

I can take off from a stop and burn the 17 inch Goodyear AT/S!!!

It is awesome and well worth the money!!!!

Old 12-28-2001, 11:50 AM
OK,

You all have convinced me...I am going for the super chip. With this many satisfied customers, I can't go wrong. Besides, the first thing a Ford Sales Person told me when browsing around the lot the other day was that my truck looked sharp and that I probably should consider at getting a chip to increase the truck's performance. I am sold.

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Super Chip and Octane