Remote Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Oil Filter

I was wondering if anyone has used and had an opinion on using an aftermarket oil filter relocation kit ? I noticed Summit Racing has several to choose from and wondered what you guys think.

I changed my oil last night for the first time, and it was a pain to get to the filter, but I have seen worse. Summit has them for around $40.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 12-21-2001, 06:41 AM
The best thing about a remote oil filter is that you can mount it in a location that allows you to use a larger filter.

Larger filters have more capacity and more flow.

I really don't understand why they use such dinky filters on vehiles now a day's.

What ever happend to the FL 1's Now that is a filter.

Anyhow I put the remote on my truck and between my by-pass filter and the now larger full flow filter my truck holds about 9 quarts of oil.

Cooling capacity with a twist= better filtration.

You can buy single remote filters or double ones. Alot of the race cars put them on.

Old 12-21-2001, 08:36 AM
remote filter on 4x4

I noticed you have a 4x4. One thing you want to take into account is if you do serious four wheeling. If the most off-road you get is trail riding to the local fishing hole, definitely go for the remote filter. mine came w/ it and is located off the oil cooler and it is laughably easy to get to. However, located up fwd like that just behind the bumper is something to think about if i decide to get in a wrestling match with a MAJOR stump or boulder strewn gully. With our ground clearance, it would take something major to it, but if you are into some of those canyons that y'all have out west, it is something to think about... personally, if you are of the mind that you don't like scratches on your truck (and that keeps you from the paths you see in the 4-wheeling mags), go w/ the remote cooler.

Old 12-21-2001, 10:39 AM
SCain,

I just bought one and plan on installing it over the holidays. F150's stock oil filter is def. a pain in the buttocks to change, but like 98 4x4Flareside said, gotta think about your driving conditions/habits when picking a spot. Msparks has some pics of various mounting locations, perhaps he could post em.

98 4x4Flareside, explain again where you mounted yours. For some reason I'm having problems picturing that in my mind.

Old 12-21-2001, 08:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I obtained the parts for a remote filter directly from Ford. We have a couple of Expeditions where I work, and they came from the factory with this option already installed. The frame on the Expy and 150 are basically the same (at least at the front) so the parts will bolt right on. The filter is relocated to the outside of the left frame rail and directly behind the bumper.

I'll be installing this add on Christmas week.

Old 12-21-2001, 09:56 PM
Ok I might be a little lost here but on my truck it is right behind the drivers side bumper. It is very easy to get too but I hear a alot of people saying what a pain the filter is to get at. Is everyones in the same place as mine or are they somewhere else?

Old 12-21-2001, 10:07 PM
MAC[H]Z, for some reason Ford stopped putting the filter where your is (and mine will be in the next few days). The filter is now on the left side of the engine, above the differential. Ford put a cute little plastic deflector shield over the diff. housing to attempt to prevent a sloppy oily mess all over the front axle housing.

I haven't had to do my first oil yet, but it looks like changing the filter in it's current location is a real pain in the rear.

Old 12-22-2001, 12:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe they stopped putting it there due to damage in accidents. Truck rear ends another vehicle, left front bumper damaged, remote oil filter and system crushed... truck inoperable.

Old 12-23-2001, 10:53 PM
The idea of Ford placing the filter back on the block was stupid. What a pain in the A** to change. The idea of it being so it was not damaged in an accident is BS if you hit something hard enough to damage the filter you more than likely wont drive the truck home anyway. just my $.o2 worth.

Old 12-24-2001, 06:23 AM
i'm with ya machz!!! changin the filter on my truck is an absolute dream! i can practically change the filter standing in front of my truck!

Old 12-26-2001, 08:49 PM
Not a Mechanic or Technical wizard by any means but, would installing the remote filter kit require any additional oil? Right now, my 2001 requires 6 qts, would I have to put in any more than that if I installed this kit? I realize the lines to the filter are not very long but just wondering. Thanks

Old 12-26-2001, 09:08 PM
I can't imagine that the capacity of the two hoses would be much over 1/8-1/4 qt., if that even that much.

Beings that I installed the kit at the same time I did my first oil change, I can't tell you where the oil level would have been with just six quarts without the remote filter. I wound up putting in 6.5 quarts to bring it up to the top of the hash marks.

There has been a lot of discussion about how many quarts of oil the 5.4L engine holds. Some folks are putting in 6 qts., while others need to put in 7 to bring the oil up to the full mark.

Old 12-26-2001, 09:35 PM
Thanks Neil, that's about what I figured. Can you tell me how much the kit was and where you bought it. Thanks

Old 12-26-2001, 09:47 PM
I bought the parts from the local Ford dealer. This is the same remote filter assembly that came as STD equipment on some of the earlier model F150's and Expeditions. I had them include the parts in the purchase price of the truck when I bought it, and I had to pay half, which came to $50. I assume retail is somewhere around $150, and cost is probably close to $100.

Installation was simple with the exception of one thing......removing the lower rad. hose from the casting on the block is a MAJOR pain in the rear. (took me nearly two hours to get it off, there is no room to work) The factory hose clamps are net easy to work with. The clamps are also bonded to the hose so you can not rotate them for easy access. (by the way, if you ruin the hose, a new one costs 75 bucks, if you have a good parts man, he'll sell you one for around 44 bucks)

Quick Reply: Remote Oil Filter