Intermittent stall problem after engine start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2000, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent stall problem after engine start?

I have a 97 with a 5.4L engine. I am experiencing an intermittent problem where I can start the engine but it dies immediately; the RPMs drop immediately to zero. The engine eventually stays running but it make take anywhere from 10 seconds to several hours. Time between occurrences may vary from hours to weeks. I have not been able to make any correlation between this problem and environmental conditions such as temperature or humidity. I have had this problem looked at by 2 different dealerships and neither one can find the problem. This problem is not generating any codes. The last dealer's theory was the IAC motor/actuator. Has anyone experienced this same problem or have any theories? Any help appreciated!

Old 02-08-2000, 12:46 AM
snowback, I got your solution and it'll cause you about 192.00 to correct it.
If you don't get it fixed it will die on you and leave you stranded out on nowhere like it did on me three weeks ago. Remember that time I posted a start and die right away thread? I am on vacation in Maui now and will be back by Friday. I have the receipt in my garage shop and it's explained the situation and parts number. A special Autoxray machine will detect it and it is two parts that cause this. Not even the Rotunda machine they have at the dealership will detect this and it has to happen at the time to catch it which they did on mine.
Hold on and I'll get you the info.

Old 02-16-2000, 02:59 PM
Exclamation

Hey, GreenHornet! My problem is occurring with greater frequency now. Any assistance you can provide with regard to what you did to fix your problem would be appreciated. My wife is growing very impatient!

Thanks, snowback.

Old 03-14-2000, 04:47 PM
B&Tman
Exclamation

My V10 is doing the exact same thing. If anybody comes up with a fix, please let me know. The machine at the dealer returns no error codes. It will run as long as I give it gas, but dies when I let off. This problem is intermittent also. Please help!!
Thanks.

Old 03-27-2000, 05:50 PM
Smile

B&Tman,
Finally found out what the problem was!
Idle Air Control (IAC) valve was causing the problem. Had it replaced about 2 weeks ago and haven't seen the problem since! Part was about $65.

Old 05-22-2000, 02:43 PM
B&Tman
Cool

Great, where is this part located, and how hard is it to change?

Old 06-07-2000, 02:53 PM
Talking

Last year I had the same problem. I didn't replace the IACV though. I took it off and cleaned out all of the carbon build-up. Been running like a champ since.

------------------
1997 Extended Cab XLT, 4.6L V8

Old 06-07-2000, 07:34 PM
Greenhornet says:
I am on vacation in Maui now and will be back by Friday___

Quick Reply: Intermittent stall problem after engine start?