$100 check

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$100 check

I received my check from Ford today for the wrong radiator in my 01 super. Now you can say what you want but I think that giving that money to probably a couple of tens of thousands of customers that don't even know about the whole radiator issue is a company that stands behind it's products

And yes I realize giving you a $100 back or $500 off your next ford is cheaper than replacing all of those radiators but if that doesn't float your boat and you just haaaavvve to have the bigger radiator put in they will do that no questions asked that's cool

Beardoge

Buy a Ford Buy for life!!!!!

Old 12-16-2001, 02:29 PM
That is pretty good of Ford, now I just wish they would give us something to ease our minds about the door cracks...

Old 12-17-2001, 03:50 PM
Never would have happened without f150 online, various state and/or local consumer protection departments and class action law suits.... Dream on...

Last edited by whitengray; 12-17-2001 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:29 PM
Thumbs up Door Cracks...

I believe their is an official fix and procedure for the door crack issue...at least me local shop has one.

-AR

Old 12-17-2001, 06:02 PM
Door cracks, oil leaks, piston-slappin-engines...
At least I don't have door cracks or oil leaks (yet)...

Old 12-19-2001, 10:10 AM
I know for a fact that the Arizona Attorney General contacted Ford (and my local dealer Sanderson) about MY radiator. I’d like to think Ford simply realized a mistake had been made and mailed out this $100 check and information because they were genuinely concerned with the quality of the product they produce. But you’re surprisingly naive if you believe THAT. Ford must have been contacted by more than just my AG, I’m sure Ford began to add up the numbers and realized this thing was not going to go away. The possibility of having to defend the company against a class-action lawsuit carries a much larger penalty than this simple letter and check. Even though Ford sent it out to thousands (who knows how many?) and even if EVERY one of the recipients chooses the $100 it would be FAR less expensive than the TREBLE damages applied by a court of law.

I'd also like to add this letter/check coming at this point does NOT satisfy ME. My wife and I have been insulted repeatedly over this and $100 is not going to change THAT. In the beginning if Ford had simply said, "O, yeah we forgot to change the literature” rather that “your truck hasn’t overheated, therefore there is NO problem (with an implied ‘dumbass’)” I could have been more readily soothed. But this has never really been about overheating; it’s about advertising a product (Radiator Upgrade) charging the customer for that product ($350) then NOT delivering that product. Classic “Bait And Switch”. Also it would be nice to be able to believe Ford when they say that the small radiator we all got is really OK to cool our engines. But that’s hard to do when we all know they are in fact installing the larger radiators in the Explorers and Lightings.

You can read all about my efforts in this matter at

http://www.public.asu.edu/~james/FORD

Old 12-19-2001, 10:14 AM
Angry Resale Value?

And one more thing (OK, I know this is getting long, but I'm PISSED!) anybody that might be even thinking about taking the $100 and letting Ford off the hook should think about the resale value of your truck. Anybody buying an F150 two or three years from now will know about this little fiasco and if you DON'T get the larger radiator installed YOUR truck will be worth ($500?) less.

Old 12-19-2001, 11:05 AM
No Door Cracks either

ronhop

You know it's interesting that neither of our '99 Supercabs have door cracks. I use my power windows all the time and I have even pulled back my window moulding to see if the dreaded cracks are just beginning. So sign of any cracks. I can't help but wonder why so many trucks, especially newer models, have cracks and some don't??????????????

Old 12-19-2001, 12:27 PM
I do not see how my resale value will be harmed. Customers and engineers have proven that this new radiator does what it is supposed to do. Yes I agree with the issue that I was led to believe that for my $350 I was supposed to get a "Super Cooling" radiator and a list of other items. (which by the way if you add up seperately comes out to more than the $350 anyway).
I have cashed my check and will continue to enjoy my truck for many years. Also taking the check does not mean you will not be able to get any future cooling issues resolved by your warranty. I think Ford did right by facing up to the fact that they screwed up. I agree that for 100 bucks they got off cheaper than a Class Action Suit would have cost them but ASUS what more do you want? Don't cash the check and get the bigger radiator, that is also given to you as a choice. There have been many people on this site that have towed very large trailers in hot weather and have not had any problems. There are probably 10 times more than that who are not on this site. I have not yet heard of any failures due to the new, more efficient (according to the manufacturer), smaller radiator. But again if the small one concerns you Ford has now offered to replace it.

Old 12-19-2001, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Resale Value?

Originally posted by ASUSCrew
And one more thing (OK, I know this is getting long, but I'm PISSED!) anybody that might be even thinking about taking the $100 and letting Ford off the hook should think about the resale value of your truck. Anybody buying an F150 two or three years from now will know about this little fiasco and if you DON'T get the larger radiator installed YOUR truck will be worth ($500?) less.
Yea, I have to agree with Norm... I'd bet on average less than 1 out of 50 SCREW owners would even be aware of the issue. Not everyone else in the world is as knowledgeable about these trucks as F150online members, and we have far less than 1% of all F-150 owners on here. I don't blame you for wanting the larger radiator, but it's not gonna effect your resale value. (Unless your selling it to a F150 online member!)

Last edited by STX/98; 12-19-2001 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:48 PM
Asuscrew- According to the following portion of a press realease we are talking about some 450,000 units.
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas, Oct. 30 /PRNewswire/ -- The following press release is being issued jointly by The Edwards Law Firm, L.L.P., of Corpus Christi, Texas, and the Chicago law firm of Much, Shelist, Freed, Denenberg, Ament & Rubenstein, P.C.:

Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) charged approximately 80,000 of its customers in Texas and 450,000 nationwide for upgraded heavy-duty radiators that they did not receive, according to a statewide class action lawsuit filed in the 28th Judicial District, Nueces County, Texas. A nationwide class action, Rodney Miller vs. Ford Motor Company, has been filed in the Circuit Court, Third Judicial Circuit, Madison County, Illinois. On Monday, Ford publicly admitted its wrongdoings and will offer its affected customers a choice between $100 cash, a $500 coupon good toward the purchase of another Ford, or replacement of the radiator, according to Reuters. Attorneys in the lawsuits say that Ford's response is inadequate.

Old 12-21-2001, 12:17 PM
Angry how do you know if you were had?

i have a 2000 xlt with the "towing package" is it by vin number? if so what vin numbers? i am in california am i entitled to any compensation? thanks for your input.

Old 12-21-2001, 01:57 PM
After reading this post, I checked my 2002 SCab XLT 5.4 w/tow pkg. Turns out it has a sgl core 1" radiator. I checked the sales lit for 2001 and 2002 and found the "supercooling" radiator not listed in '02 lit. Called a dealer and the local radiator guy and found that there is only ONE radiator for this model year. Looks like anyone with an '02 and tow pkg will have to suffice with the sgl 1" unless they shell out for a new twin-core as I had to do on my old '86. This problem never seems to be corrected. Is it THAT much more expensive to put in a correctly sized radiator!?

Old 12-21-2001, 02:10 PM
Re: No Door Cracks either

Originally posted by BConehed
ronhop

You know it's interesting that neither of our '99 Supercabs have door cracks. I use my power windows all the time and I have even pulled back my window moulding to see if the dreaded cracks are just beginning. So sign of any cracks. I can't help but wonder why so many trucks, especially newer models, have cracks and some don't??????????????
Our schools' '99 got the door cracks at 9000 miles. It is a regular cab though. My '97 has the drivers side, but it hasen't showed it's ugly head from behind the moulding. I hope it stays there. There is a fix, but it doesn't work. Many trucks with the fix are showing back up with the cracks.

Old 12-21-2001, 06:48 PM
Press Release

Hey WHITENGRAY where did you get that quote? Send me the whole thing or the citation where it came from please. james@asu.edu

Quick Reply: $100 check