Supercharger and Octane help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2000, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercharger and Octane help?

My Kenne Bell will be done on my truck tomorrow. Instructions say to always carry a can of octane booster in case you get bad gas. The guy who is installing it (I trust him totally, he's a genius), says that I should add a can to every tank. What do you already supercharged guys think about that? I don't have a problem doing that, but I looked on a website and 104 is like $7.5 a can!! Not to mention, I'm going to be getting around 8 MPG (I can get 12 now). I live in Colorado, so the best gas I can get is 91 octane. Any input is appreciated.

------------------
hytek1dr@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Freeway/7515/

Old 04-21-2000, 12:07 AM
Hi fordman Well that's the problem with these (roots & screw) blowers. I have yet to hear a person that hasn't had problems with detination with the K.B. Don't get me wrong these K.B. setups are very nice. But the problem is heat. I don't care what K.B. says about his blowers they are making some serious heat. Yes they make alittle less then an eaton but let's get serious you shouldn't need octane boost at 6 or 7 psi. that is just rediculous. These are supposed to be street blowers. If you need octane boost at such low psi can you imagine the heat this thing is making. It's funny that K.B. dosen't mention this when he praises how great his kits are. I know that K.B. is a very impressive supercharger setup and can have great performance numbers too but for a daily driver I think he should offer a air to air intercooler. That would solve the detonation problems for sure. I had a powerdyne on my 4.6 and I'm looking for a kit for my new 00 5.4 Money's not an issue and I'm looking for a reliable kit for my truck that will have a air to air intercooler, never have detonation problems and have a 3 year warranty. Procharger will be releasing one in june and I can't wait. We all want superchargers, boost, horsepower and it's hard to pick the best way to go. But when adding a supercharger you do want the performance but you definitely don't want the heat and that's the down side of the K.B. kits. I highly recommend a water injection kit with your blower to cool the charge. The only reason you might have detonation is the heat factor. SPEARCO is the maker of intercoolers and offers a water injection setup. Very nice. Remenber detonation is the main cause of engine failure so be careful. I think the web address is spearcointercooler(s).com I think the water kit is around $155 dollars. Worth the money. I also know that the chip he puts in his kits also retards the timing. (That is not the way to perform supercharger modifications) As for the octane boost, boy what a joke.....

Old 04-21-2000, 06:48 AM
Question

Hi Frank, have you thought about the Magnason SC any? Their setup comes with a built-in liquid to air intercooler. Uses an EATON M90. I want to have a roots/screw type SC installed on my Expy, due to its "instant" boost, probably same reason Fordman is getting the KB. What are your thoughts on that setup? Thanks!!

By the way, Fordman, what have you got??

------------------
'98 EB Expy
5.4L 3.73 LS
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard
Manik Grill and Rear Tail Guards
PIAA Foglights
Stull Billet Grill and Bumper Inserts

Have, but not installed...

75mm Edelbrock TB
JBA Black Coat Ceramic Headers

Coming Soon...

Supercharger

"Its Sooo Big...Shes Gotta to be Blown!"

Old 04-21-2000, 05:36 PM
Fordman
I had a load of regular when the SC was installed. The X pinged bad, this is the only time I put octane booster in. I like the ideal of carrying a can around but you should not have to make a practice to add octane booster. I run super and it is fine. Once in a while I get a little between 2nd and third under WOT. Could whom ever-suggested water injection please provide a source for buying a unit. Years ago I had a factory turbo Trans-am and water injection was the only way to stop that thing prom pinging. I like the water injection ideal. Easy to install and water is free

Don

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 04-21-2000, 08:31 PM
Banned
First, Fordman I have the Kenne Bell as I believe you already know. I also read and saw the deal about the octane booster. I have carried mine ever since the install and have yet to use it. Like the instructions say keep it handy if you are in an area with bad gas, I would not use it for every tank of gas.

Frank Ryan not to get on your bad side here but you seem really negative against the Kenne Bell set up. Let me also be the first to tell you I have not had any detination with my Kenne Bell. You sound very knowligable about Super Chargers and I too believe that any super charger will produce a good amount of heat, but I have had no problems as of yet with mine here in Dallas, so I see no downfall with KB for Heat. I also agree with the idea that Kenne Bell needs to offer a intercooler since it will help to protect as well as help with the performance of the Supercharger and engine. One last question, and I only say this since you have answer Fordman's questions like you have. Are you a spokes person for Procharger because you surely don't like the Kenne Bell

------------------
Mumbly also known as Buck
Carrollton Texas (DFW), Part of the F150 Online Texas Chapter
Black 1999 Stage 3 Roush F-150 Super Cab Flareside
Here are all the goodies: Kenne Bell Supercharger, Roush Suspension, 18"x 9.5 Chrome Wheels, B. F. Goodrich Z295/45, Full Ground Effects, Roush Leather Signatured Interior (Front and Back), Flowmaster with Side Exit Infront of the Wheel, Embroidered Floor Mats, F1 Cobra Hood, ******* Hard Tonneau, Bedrug, Slide Window, and lots of other little odds and ends

Work rhigh@nortelnetworks.com
Anytime mumbly_f150@yahoo.com
Home mumbly@gte.net
<A HREF="http://www.roushperf.com/" TARGET=_blank> </A>

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 04-21-2000).]

Old 04-22-2000, 12:06 AM
Way2Big - go to the web page on my sig to see what I have. Too much to list in a sig.

Frank - Thanks alot for the info. This is the first supercharger I have owned and my experiences with this will decide if I get one for my Cobra. The reason I went with the KB was for the lower end torque for pulling. Right now with 36" tires and 4.56 gears, pulling my ~3100 pound boat isn't the easiest thing in the world. Main problem is pulling it out of the water up a boat ramp. Highway speeds aren't a problem, but I'm positive the KB will help. Went out to spearcointercoolers.com, but not sure what I'm looking for. Where exactly does the intercooler mount? Your right though, these look like cheap insurance.

------------------
hytek1dr@yahoo.com

Old 04-24-2000, 12:36 AM
No I am not a spokes person for procharger. I do like K.B setup like I said they are nice kits. But I am a firm believer in air to air intercoolers. I have installed several S.C. and the two K.B. A expedition and a 95 lightning. I installed both had detination. For every one person that tells me that they don't have detination about six tell me they do, these are facts. Some people say they never have problems other say they would never buy a K.B. again. I know for a fact that all K.B. kits rely on their chips to retard the timing. I alsoknow that retarding to timing is not the way to do a supercharger application. I'll tell you this much if K.B. made a air to air intercooler for his 5.4 kit I would buy it in a heart beat, hands down that would be the best kit. Like I said before I am not a spokesperson for procharger but I have installed their cobra kit and that is the best kit I have ever installed. I ran 10 psi on a 10:1 compression 4.6 with 91 octane and didn't have any detination on a 85 degree day. Try doing that with any other S.C. You can't with out a intercooler. I'm just using this as a example for their upcoming truck kit. I also had the chance to witness a 5.0 mustang do two runs on a dyno at 8 psi. One run with a vortech and one with the procharger with a 2 core inter. If I remember correctly the procharger made 34 more horsepower then the other. And thats just because of the lower intake temp. The truck kit will be rated at 8 psi with a 2 core intercooler. Well to begin the 5.4 can handle 10 psi with proper tuning and intercooling. So 8 psi is no problem and I believe the K.B. is reaching 71/2 to 8 psi at top end anyway. The procharger will also have a 3 year warranty. After a reasonable amount of experience with building S.C. automobiles I will not put a nonintercooled supercharger on my 00 f150. Yes I want tons of horse power like most of us, but when I'm putting boost into my engine I want it to be the coolest air charge possible. Heat does absolutly nothing for a engine but rob horse power. About 1% loss for every 10 degree increase. Some of you probably think I don't know what I am talking about othersmight agree with me but, I am just offering my opinion and don't mean to offend any of you that may have purchased a S.C. kit. All I have to say is that if your in the market for a S.C. do alot of research like I have and then make your decission. S.C. are alot of money for some of us and it's only natural to pick the best one for what your going to use it for. Like I said,I want a kit thats air to air intercooled, 3 year warranty at 8 psi, self contained oil system, no timing retard, and a proven reliable company. And for that I will choose procharger. If someone else offered a setup like the one I want I would consider them. But for what the procharger will cost I don't think anyone can compete with them.

Fordman call spearco and they will send you info. It would mount in your air inlet inbetween the thl body and the compressor and only jets in water depending on boost levels. You will have to drill and tap a small hole in the alm. inlet.
As for the magnason I made a big post about this kit about a month ago called magnason info. hope that helps.....

Old 04-24-2000, 02:26 AM
Fordman: I just posted a similar request for information earlier in the day; see the one for the 95 Eddie Bauer 5.8 liter. I, too, live in Colorado (Berthoud area) and am looking to boost my horsepower, apparently not an easy task in this altitude. I'm looking at doing this by means of both a supercharger and an enhanced computer chip. I'd appreciate any information you or anyone else might have on them. I'd like to look into several of each so I can compare the benefits and detriments of each, as well as the prices. I have no idea what a supercharger costs, although I'm expecting a few thousand dollars. Are there any out there, both chips and chargers, for the 1995 351 engine ford put into their trucks? I'd sure appreciate some feedback; I only got one answer to my previous posting. This is my first day on this post, and I'm hoping it turns out to be as good a source of knowledge and assistance as the Vintage Mustang Site I use on a daily basis is in my restoration and maintenance of my 69 Mach I 428Cobrajet 4-spd, and my 70 Mach I Boss 302 powered 4-spd. cars.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Tom

------------------
95 Eddie Bauer F-150, 5.8 liter 351, auto., tow package, high altitude, heavy duty cooling, limited slip diff.,black/gold.

Old 04-24-2000, 05:52 PM
Dear Super (charger) Men,

I just wanted to put my 0.02 cents in about intake mounted superchargers. The Kenne Bell is indeed a very good unit that due to the design of the blower itself can produce boost at lower RPM, as well as lower heat to the intake charge. However, the fact that you are putting a blower on a high compression engine is cause for some concern about detonation as you have mentioned. The best solution, as Frank has mentioned, is a intercooler that will extract the heat from the intake charge. The blowers that are used by ford for the Lightnings are made my Eaton and the 5.4 engines are 8:1 compression, so they can run a higher boost without detonation. A company called www.magnacharger.com has a Eaton M90 blower that uses a water to air intercooler that is built into the blower manifold. This is for several reasons; 1. The Eaton blower which is different than the Kenne Bell blower does not produce the same boost at lower RPM's. 2. The Eaton blower produces more heat. From what I have read so far the Kenne Bell produces more HP at lower RPM's but detonation and engine longevity would be of concern. The Eaton which produces lower HP but has the intercooler built in might be a better choice. I live in an erea where the ambient temperatures can easily be 115 in the shade so detonation would result in burned pistons.

------------------
1998 RED F250-LD EC 4X4 Lariat, 5.4L, 3.73LS, 4WL ABS,
LOAD LVL SUS, TOWING PKG, SUPER COOLING PKG, 6 CD
CHANGER. GREY LEATHER INTERIOR.

MODS: PACESETTER TFX CAT BACK EXHAUST
AIRAID INTAKE SYSTEM
SUPERCHIP FLIP CHIP
MAG-HYTEC DIFFERENTIAL COVER
NAPA CERAMIC BRAKE PADS
BFG ALL/TA KO LT26575R16
FORD MOLDED MUD GUARDS
DURALINER W/ BULL RING TIE DOWNS
MAX SUPER WHITE HEADLIGHT & FOG BULBS
DASHMAT DASH COVER

FUTURE MODS: JBA HEADERS
STULL BILLET GRILLS
MAGNACHARGER BLOWER

Old 04-25-2000, 04:20 PM
Angry

Well, I already don't like this Kenne Bell Stupidcharger. Was supposed to have my truck back today, but when they test drive it on the highway...detonation. They called Kenne Bell and now they have to take the computer out and ship it to them to re-program. Don't do anything easy like use a chip, send in the computer like I could have ALL last week when it was in the shop! I'm venting...but if this blower is the most awesome thing in the world, I'm going to go shove it up Mr. KBs @ss and go buy something else!

------------------
hytek1dr@yahoo.com

Old 04-26-2000, 12:08 AM
Looks like K.B. took another victom to excessive heat. This is what I'm talking about Mumbly. Sorry to hear of your problems fordman but when you buy a K.B. it's pretty ovious that the odds a against you. Well K.B. will take your computer and retard the ***** out of the timing. That's the only way he can solve his detonation problems. Or you could run some higher octane. As you already know the only reason your getting detonation is from the heat. If you have any detonation with any kit at 6 psi that kit is not engineered correctly. Remember detonation is what causes burnt pistons and blown head gaskets. All I can say about fordmans problems is that I'm not surprised one bit. And I can't beleive the ***** K.B. must have to be selling such a kit. I know not all people are having his problems but noone should. He must have calls all day of people with detonation problems. And if you call him he will admit that detonation might be a problem. Yet people are still buying them but not many people. Just think about this for a minute K.B does not make these compressors he puts on his kits. He buys them from swedon. Any company could buy these and put them on their own designed kit. But noone does because they really need some sort of intercooling and the kits would be very $$$$. Yes K.B. does make alot of good things but these twin screw kits are a high risk purchase. Just my opinion.....Oh fordman if you do keep the kit get some sort of water injection it will be well worth it.

Old 04-26-2000, 03:48 PM
To add to the subject, I recently had a kenne bell blower installed. I took it to a very good person to have it done, "a genuis" when it comes to cars. He has built racecars from the ground up and works on all types of cars. The kenne bell is great and added lots of low end power that others fall short. I had a custom shift valve installed also so the shifts are firm. I am running 93 octane gas and the boost a pump and fmu are both set up. No chip for retarding what so ever just the blower. Maybe something was hooked up wrong or you are not running quality fuel. So before Frank goes and talks down on the kits I will put my input in. I am very happy with the kit so far and will keep you informed of how everything goes.

------------------
97 expedition 4x4-3.55Ls 5.4 leather cd changer husky floormats 17" eagle alloys-Painted "starboard" running boards-Custom Wet Okole seat covers with "Expedition" logos-egr painted fender flares-painted ventvisors-bug deflector- 10% window tint-chrome warn brushgaurd with xd9000i winch-Ion driving lights- dual 4" chrome tips with flowmaster 40 series-Jba headers-K&N gen II-Superchip-3x10 inch Mtx blue thunder subs-1x12 inch mtx blue thunder sub-Rockford fosgate 1100 watt amp-2 Alpine 500 watt amps-Panasonic day/night reciever-4 polk 5x7 speakers-2 pioneer truck box speakers-3 12 inch neon blue tubes under all seats...and much more

Old 04-26-2000, 07:17 PM
Thumbs up

Called ATI today. Their 5.4l kit will not be available till later this summer. Oh well!

I'm going ahead with the Magnason, due to Kenny Brown offering the kit and doing the install. For what they have done for Mustangs, I really can't doubt their confidence in the Magnason. They are not going to offer the ATI there, for whatever reason. Fordman, sorry about your troubles. I hope that they get resolved ASAP and that you occur no future downtime due to it.

------------------
'98 EB Expy
5.4L 3.73 LS
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard
Manik Grill and Rear Tail Guards
PIAA Foglights
Stull Billet Grill and Bumper Inserts

Have, but not installed...

75mm Edelbrock TB
JBA Jet Black Ceramic Headers

Coming Soon...

Magnason/Eaton Supercharger
Pro M 77mm MAF
Boost & Fuel pressure guage/pod

"Its Sooo Big...Shes Gotta to be Blown!"

Old 04-26-2000, 07:17 PM
I am using water injection and it works, and very well. it's an old,simple way of running higher boost without detonation. i run 12psi on my novi blower and set water/alcohol to spray at 6-8 psi depending on weather. the mixture drops air temp 100 drgs in 1 sec. i use a basic Carroll system ($500), but the sky's the limit with these guys. don't know much about spearco, but the better the pump atomizes the water the better the temp drop, so you want a very powerful pump. you don't want water squirting down the TB.

Old 04-27-2000, 11:08 AM
Well, small update. Kenne Bell got the computer yesterday, so if I'm lucky, they got it reprogrammed and sent back out to arrive today. The guys at the shop said it ran great until higher speeds under power and the computer just needed to richen (sp?) the gas. I asked when the power became noticable...I liked the reply..."when I backed it out of the garage". So it sounds like things will be good when I get the computer back...pretty sad sight seeing 5 guys have to push my truck back into the garage.

Quick Reply: Supercharger and Octane help?