Piston Slap

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2000, 04:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Piston Slap

Well I just bought (03/00) a new 99 Light Duty F-250 XLT 4X4 SuperCab with the 5.4L V8. I Love my truck, I've had it for about a month now. But for about the last three weeks I've noticed that when I start my truck up it sounds like a diesel. At first I didn't worry about it, but now it bothers me. So I got onto the web and found this site and bingo! I have "Piston Slap" My engine was manufactured 02/99. I guess I should of done my homework
before buying.....
Now I'm not sure if I should take it back to the dealer to have the engine replaced or just live with it. I only have 1400 miles on it. Also I'm only getting 10 mpg. I love to drive it but it kills me to watch the gas gauge drop so quickly.
I would appreciate any advise.........

------------------
99 Light Duty F250 4X4 SuperCab XLT, 5.4L, 3.73 limted slip axle

Old 04-20-2000, 06:00 PM
CARTFAN,
If your dealer gives you a hard time like my dealer is doing, tell them that there is a class action lawsuit pending against Ford Motor Company regarding the piston slap and I will be happy to give you additional information. Bugman.

Old 04-21-2000, 12:21 AM
Is the piston slap only a problem with the 5.4L engine?

Old 04-21-2000, 12:24 AM
franks&beans
Cool

CARTfan,
First of all, WELCOME to the F150 list!! IT's great to see another F-150 owner:-) As you just found out, (the hard way) there is many things you can find here on this web site about your new truck. My advice is to return the truck and and tell them you have piston slap, If the service guy looks at you like your a dummy. Tell him/her you know dozens of "friends" on the internet who have the same thing you have and they are getting their engines replaced under factory warrentee. Just last night, I got a call from Tropic Traveler, a list member who has less then 7,000 miles on his 00 F-150 5.4 liter. and he has piston slap, His dealer called him and he is taking it in next week for a new engine. Another list member, Gimpkiller, who has a 97 F-150 4X4 5.4 liter had 35,898 miles on his truck. His engine was replaced about 3 months ago. Both of them live within a few miles from me, and are very happy they had or are getting a new engine. Don't wait! go to the dealer and demand a new engine.

Regards,

F&B's

------------------
98 F-150 XLT, SC, SWB, 2WD, Pac. Grn., 4.2L auto, 4.10 gears w/ LS, Tow Pkg., BFG AT's 265/75/16, K&N air filter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, Superchip, Edelbrock shocks, Hellwig rear sway bar, 3" body lift, signal mirrors, ...tons of cosmetic products

Old 04-21-2000, 12:51 AM
Definitely DO NOT just live with it.

I think the chances of getting a new engine (it should be a 2000 year model) are better than getting a new truck w/o piston slap (unless it's a '99 w/ a engine build date of 4/99 or newer) or a 2000 model truck.

Take it back to the dealer.

Good luck,

I'm still waiting on my new engine to show up.

------------------
  • 1999 Super Cab XLT
  • Windsor 5.4 complete w/ Piston Slap at no extra charge (Thank you very much)
  • 3.55 Ratio L/S
  • White/ Grey interior
    MODS
  • Intake Silencer Removed
  • LoJack Anti-Theft System
  • Bug Deflector
  • Aluminum Tool Box
  • 2 Bull Ring Retractable Tie Down's
  • Bed Mat
  • Class III Receiver Hitch
  • CCA Redfish Decal
  • TTMB Sheepshead Decal
madams@ev1.net

[This message has been edited by BadAngler (edited 04-20-2000).]

Old 04-29-2000, 12:37 AM
Where can I get more info about piston slaping?

Quick Reply: Piston Slap