Startup and Shutdown Noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Startup and Shutdown Noises

I have a '97 Expedition w/5.4. When starting it up - the serpentine belt tends to make a lot of "clanking" noises for a few minutes until it is warm. Could this be a bad pulley or possibly a faulty water pump or is it just the tensioner that needs adjusted. I have listned to this closely thinking it could be the piston slap problem - but it is definitly coming from the serpentine belt system. Is this normal ? Also - when shutting the truck down - if you listen under the hood - it sounds like a fuel pump motor running. You can hear this for about 1-2 seconds after you shut it off - I called a dealer on this and they told me there is a little blower motor that runs for a brief period after you shut it off - is he correct??

------------------
1997 Expedition EB, Laser Red, 5.4L, Tow Package, 3.73 Limited Slip,all the goodies exept rear seat - so far - no mods

Old 04-27-2000, 01:31 AM
As to shut-off noise, my truck emits a hissing noise for about 1 or 2 seconds after I shut it off. Is this similar to your noise? Dealer says it is air conditioner relief valve, but I have never had one hiss that long. He says keep an eye on function of air conditioner and if it gets worse or air conditioner is not working properly, then bring it back. Anyone else have this problem?

------------------
2000 F150 SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II and Bilstein shocks.

Old 04-27-2000, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't say the noise is a hissing sound - it sounds just like a fuel pump motor sounds like - and as I say - it only lasts for a brief second or two after I shut it off.

Quick Reply: Startup and Shutdown Noises