veloci tube sucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2000, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry veloci tube sucks

For anybody thinking about buying a velocity tube, please DO NOT, it sucks. The performance gains are there but the fit and quality of this system suck. I was asure by the canadian company that all bugs and quality bugs had been worked out, i would hate to see what this sytem was before. For starters the hose that connects to the tube by the T.B. is too short. Gasket that needs to be used on the T.B. is the poorest design and quality, it is cut with some kind of saw and it looks and fits terribly. The extension to the fender is so flexible that it does not stay in place. I wish i could send it back for a full refund but i cannot because i wrapped the metal tube with heat reflective tape in order to keep it cool. Well, now i have a velocity tube that i hate and $20.00 worth of expensive tape on it. Again,if you are thinking about an air system go with Airaid. It is top quality and fit, i used to have one in my previous f150 and loved it. I just went brain dead when the group buy came up. I do not think the velocity tube is worth $20.00 not even free. Last but not least, the system is full of saw dust from the manufacturing process. I am sure this system is manufactured in a back yard somewhere in Canada, there is no doubt in my mind. I hope this post helps other members stay away from this low quality product. Sorry for the long post but i had to let everyone know.

------------------
Black 99 xlt sc flairside,4.6 2w.d.,50 series flowmaster catback,
superchip,
RS9000 shocks,
3" lift procomp spindles,A/R Phyton 285/75/16 A/T B.F,
Ford 9mm sparkplug wires.
Snug Lid.2 KC daylighters.

FUTURE MODS: LS AND 4.10 GEARS.

Old 04-09-2000, 11:52 PM
Sorry you are having trouble........I got mine during Christmas and could not wait to get it on my truck. No real problems to speak of and it really woke the engine. It does take a little work to make things fit but not as bad as you seem to make it. I know that Shannon @ WMS will be glad to listen to your beef and will probably send you the correct fittings. As far as the WMS Velocity tube goes IT WILL FIT CORRECTLY AND WORK GREAT! .........Otherwise why would they sell so many?????????????? Check about the K&N Threads and here about the complaints there on that set up.

------------------
97 F-150 4.6 auto, 4x2, 3.55 LS, WMS Velocity tube, K&N, Dynomax Super Turbo exhaust with Echo tube.
Oh yeah, it's Oxford White with crome wheels, Legacy shell & custom grill!

Old 04-10-2000, 10:54 AM
wjt
Talking

Shoot, comparing the price between the velocity tube and the other FIPKS's, what did you expect? My velocity tube needed a little work too, but it's worth it.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4, wedgewood blue, 5.4l auto, Manick brush guard, Duraliner, KC Hilites, surf rod holders, tinted windows, K&N air filter without airbox, Velocity air intake tube, Midas Performance muffler with dual pipes, toolbox, Uniden CB with whip and now, enjoying a new reprieve on life with a 2000 series 5.4L (swapped engine due to Piston Slap). Will be Superchipped shortly...

Old 04-10-2000, 01:50 PM
I'm sure that is a significant "choke point", but I didn't have time to figure out an easy method for removing the stock fenderwell inlet and replacing with the tube/hose from WMS.

If anyone has any ideas how to do this AND retain the ability to change back to stock for warranty work, please let me know.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Sport, Silver 4-door Supercab
Short Bed (Only way to fit in the garage)
17" Sport Wheels with BFG tires, 3.55 R, 4.6l V8, Auto (First one in 20 years)
In-Dash Single CD Player, 60/40 Split bench dark graphite

Mods So Far
K&N Filter, Gatorback Spray-In Bedliner, Llumar ProShield Window Tint
WMS Velocity Tube

Future Plans
Superchip, Upgraded Speakers/Stereo
FlowMaster Exhaust, Nerf Bars

[This message has been edited by Y2kXLTSport (edited 04-10-2000).]

Old 04-10-2000, 07:44 PM
the black hose for the bypass air vale didn't come close to fitting!!!!!i heated it and used a little soap and still wasn't even close....i have a poweraid so nothing really fits properly,but i modified everything so it fits ok now...

Old 04-10-2000, 10:01 PM
I am glad that all of you guys are happy with the velocity tube but i have a couple of questions. First, I tried to get a tight seal at the T.B. but it seems that even with the gasket, it is too big of a gap and you can hear the air going through, how did you guys fix that?. Second, how did you keep the air filter to fender piece from moving around? it seems a little short. And it is my personal experience that the Airaid is a much better quality and fit. I know the velocity is $50.00 cheaper but i should have paid the extra $50.00 for a system that would have fitted the first time around. I am upset because of the lack of parts,attention to detail and the fact that now i have to go to the autopart store and try to find the right hose. I hope that i do not have to use silicone or anything like it to seal the tube to T.B..

Thanks to everyone's input.

------------------
Black 99 xlt sc flairside,4.6 2w.d.,50 series flowmaster catback,
superchip,
RS9000 shocks,
3" lift procomp spindles,A/R Phyton 285/75/16 A/T B.F,
Ford 9mm sparkplug wires.
Snug Lid.2 KC daylighters.

FUTURE MODS: LS AND 4.10 GEARS.

Old 04-11-2000, 12:39 AM
Cool

I just installed my velocity tube yesterday, in about 30 minutes. The hardest part was getting the sensors back where they needed to be due to the tight fit inside the grommets and getting the filter housing to tube mating made (due to tight clearances).

I did notice one piece of metal shaving in one hole which was easily cleaned out.

I did not put in the filter box to fender wall tube - just left the stock one for now to make it easier to go back should I need warranty work.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Sport, Silver 4-door Supercab
Short Bed (Only way to fit in the garage)
17" Sport Wheels with BFG tires, 3.55 "regular", 4.6l V8, Auto (First one in 20 years)
In-Dash Single CD Player,
K&N Filter, Gatorback Spray-In Bedliner,WMS Velocity Tube

Future Mods:
Superchip,Upgraded Speakers/Amplifier
FlowMaster Exhaust, Westin Nerf Bars

Old 04-11-2000, 12:55 AM
Y2K, I agree that for warranty work issues not having anything on the truck aftermarket is probably the easiest thing. However you are missing the critical link to the Velocity Tube working properly... The fender tube that is enlarged is the "choke" point for the entire system. You cannot see the same gains going thru the small 1 7/8" factory snorkel.
Just my opinion.

------------------
1998 F-150 SC Flareside 4.6 Wht/Grey Auto
Additions: Line-X 8-31-99
3.73:1 Pro Auburn, Custom made cold air induction system, Flowmaster exhaust, N2O (when needed)
Epic Lakota Chrome wheels and 285-75-16 tires.

Quick Reply: veloci tube sucks