351 windsor

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2000, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 351 windsor

i have an 88 f150 with a 93 351w. i am using the distrib from the old motor because the 93 wasn't compatible with my wiring harness. Everything is stock. my problem is that half of the teeth on my distributor drive gear are gone and the remaining ones are almost worn off. it looks like they have worn down rather than broken off because the existing tethe are razor sharp and very thin. i am aware that the 93 engine has a roller camshaft and the 88 engine did not. although i did not perform an examination of the 2 distributors at the time i changed out the engines the only difference i noticed was the wiring haresses coming from the distributors were different and thus rendering the 93 dist incompatible with my vehicle. my question for you is: assuming proper installation, why did the 93 engine eat the distrib drive gear on my 88 distrib? are the gears different? i noticed that the part numbers are different. are the gears different? if so how? on carparts.com the 88 is borg warner #dg101 and the 93 is standard ignition #dg1. is this correct? would all i have to do is put the 93 gear on my 88 distributor? i am tempted to buy a whole distributor but i need an 88 and don't want to buy one and just have my engine eat its drive gear teeth. also, i changed the oil as part of my routine before i pulled the distibutor and noticed some tiny metal flakes. would my filter have trapped most of these particles? are the ones i saw in the oil too smallto have been trapped? if so, would they then be too small to have caused much dammage to my bearings? i have heard that the 93 distrib gear is made from harder metal. even so why is there so much more friction in the 93 that it causes the softer material from the 88 gearto fail? if you know of anyone who can help me with any of this please let me or them know. thanks in advance for any help.

------------------

Quick Reply: 351 windsor