More Piston Slap Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2000, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry More Piston Slap Woes

I had a meeting with my salesman and the service manager for the first time today about my piston slap problem. I described the symptoms that my engine has, and told them that the problem fitted everthing I had heard about piston slap (thanks to you good people that make this message board work). The service manager then told me that Ford had issued a "notice" about piston slap, but had not decided what to do about it, and had stated that piston slap would not affect the life of the engine. I then said that I had heard that Ford was replacing 99 5.4s with a new 2000 model year engine, and I asked why would Ford offer replacements if there was no impact on engine life. I was told that it was for customer satisfaction. He then went into a speech about how hard it is to get new engines - that none are available, no parts, and that it would be at least 7 months before he could get a new one. All after telling me that Ford had not determined what to do about this! I’m still trying to decide whether that was his ignorance or his dishonesty showing. (No laughs, please!) I then brought up the possibility of a trade-out and asked if there was a buy back program. They weren’t exactly opposed to the idea of a trade out, and said that there was not a buy back offer, but that each instance was being considered on a case by case basis, and that Ford was working with their customers. So much for fairness and consistancy.

Well folks, this is the first new vehicle I’ve ever purchased, and I don’t want to live with something that’s been torn down and put back together after leaving the factory - no one should. Mine has only 8,700 miles on it, and a windsor with a manufacture date of 5/10/99. Ford should be better than that. I’m taking it in next week for the big diagnosis. Then, I hope to decide which way to go. I’ll keep you informed. I saw a posting here last week about one owner who got a buy back for 10 to 12 cents per mile. That sounds like a deal. I also saw the posting about the class action law suit. If there is one, let’s get on board. Strength in numbers people!

---------
99 F-150 XLT SC, 5.4, AT, medium toredore red, tow package, remote entry, big tires, rear slider, running boards, etc.

------------------

Old 03-24-2000, 10:38 AM
Angry

Exactly one week ago today, i got a "new"(FQR) motor in my '97 F150 4x4 ORP. That was great, i had major piston slap, and had 49,900 miles on it, so a new motor was a new lease on life for my truck.

A couple days later, i noticed a "clunking" noise, while accelerating. Well it turned out that the mechanics decided finger tight was good enough to hold the transmission down. I torqued the bolts down, no damage done.. But still noticed a burning oil smell under the hood. ( I figured some oil was spilled during installation).

Turns out that I have an oil leak that sounds suspiciously like the leaking passenger side, head casting flaw.. Maybe i'll get lucky and its a bad gasket, or loose bolt or something, but not with my luck..

I really like my truck, but it sure isnt holding up like my Saab, which retired at over 300K miles. (due to bad braking system that I spent way too much money have imbeciles try to fix, not the engine giving out.)

Old 03-24-2000, 01:49 PM
DP9
Angry

Has anyone had the 'piston slap' problem diagnosed by Ford without Ford actually hearing the knocking? I've started my 1999
5.4 on some cold mornings and it sounds like someone's under the hood beating it with a hammer. Yet I've taken it to Ford three times and they always say they cannot hear any knocking, and therefore cannot do anything about it. Now that the weather is getting warmer it does'nt knock as loud or as often. I want to take it back to Ford for a resolution but I know they'll say they cannot hear anything. I'm wondering if there is any test or diagnostic that will confirm the problem?

Old 03-24-2000, 02:10 PM
Angry

I didnt really have a problem reproducing the sound. I think mine was piston slap ++. Although the first "mechanic" reported he could not hear it.. I demonstrated it to the shop manager, and he totally agreed.

Mine sounded worse when revving the engine up to 1500-2000 rpm, and letting it idle back down, chattering all the way down.. Sounded like a diesel.

Old 03-24-2000, 06:34 PM
DP9,
The first time I took my truck in, they claimed to not here the noise. That weekend, I left my truck over Sunday night in the dealership's parking lot. I was at the dealership when it opened on Monday. I made the service writer get the service manager to listen to my truck when I started it. It did not knock as loud as usual, but he immediately said he would get me a new engine. It was in and installed by Friday.

Take your truck back as many times as you have too.

Good luck,

------------------
BOB
97 F150 Lariet 4X4 SC Everything except ESOF plus Line-X Bed Liner, Power Rear Slider, 16X8 Chrome Centerline Starfires, 305-70 Goodyear AT/S, Alpine Alarm, Deflecta-Shield Sportrends Running Boards, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, a new "no piston slap" 5.4, and a new "no-crack" door.

[This message has been edited by F150BOB (edited 03-24-2000).]

Old 03-24-2000, 07:16 PM
Hi F150BOB,
Did they install a new engine or a remanufactured engine?? Also, what kind of warranty did the dealer offer?? Please let us know. Bugman.

Old 03-25-2000, 06:26 AM
I recently purchased a used 97 F-150 with what I believe is piston slap. I now understand that you can get oversize pistons for these engines; therefore my question is wouldn't you be better off boring and stroking your engine vs getting a new one? It's been a while since I have worked on engines so I am just curious for input. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2000, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this problem had been fixed midway though the 99 model year..but it sounds like that is not the case.

The other issue I have been noticing is that many of the FQR engines are having problems of their own. FORD is really having some quality control problems. (engines, replacement engines, door cracks...)

I traded in my 1998 5.4L F-150 because I was concerned about developing this problem.

Is it true that the new FQR engines only get a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty?

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99, **Superchip..WOW!!!!**

Old 03-26-2000, 02:06 AM
Angry

Thats what ive heard (12k miles/1 yr warranty)..

Seems rather odd that its seems like a pattern, take the slapping engine in to be replaced by a leaking engine..

Mine's in the shop again, not sure what the "solution" is gonna be, but im getting quite tired of this.

Old 03-27-2000, 02:26 AM
When I decided that my "99 Lightning had not only piston slap but also the leaking head/gasket I called three dealers other than the one I had purchased from and they acted like they had never heard of such a thing. When I finally called the original dealer back they had heard of the problems just not in the L's. They did however agree to fire it up at 2 in the morning right before they quit for the night and thank goodness they heard it and the next morning the day supervisor did it and he also heard the sound and they agreed that I needed a new engine.
So I was happy, for once, with this dealership ( Kribs Ford of St. Louis) then things got even better they agreed to let me put on some JBA headers when the new engine arrived. So I contacted Roger at the F-150 online store and had him ship me some coated headers ( very helpful and prompt) only to have them break my heart by telling me to bring the headers on up and when I arrive the same guy who had just told me to come on up tells me "I think your too late" the engine was already in.
Once again Ford service screws things up.
Sorry for the rant!

Quick Reply: More Piston Slap Woes