4.6 pinging

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-1999, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 4.6 pinging

My engine sounds like a diesel lately. It pings under light or hard acceleration. 65k miles. Will this hurt the engine? I don't want to burn a piston or anything. I think the spark plugs are original. Should I try an engine cleaner, or a "tune-up"? Thanks and happy holidays!

------------------
White 97 XLT SC 4.6, 4X4 "ORP" 3.55ls, tow pkg, long bed, Rhino liner, Owens running boards

Old 12-24-1999, 01:24 AM
Yes try the chevron fuel injection cleaner. Also you might try to reset the computer. Disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes. Then drive the way you normaly do. Let us know if it doesnt work.

------------------
97 F-150 4.6 auto, 4x2, 3.55 LS, WMS Velocity tube, K&N, Dynomax Super Turbo exhaust with Echo chamber.
Oh yeah, it's Oxford White with crome wheels, Legacy shell & custom grill!

Old 12-26-1999, 09:23 AM
Angry

this sounds like the same problem i have been having since about 10,000 miles ('98 4.6 4x2 built in windsor). read my reply at the end of ml's thread- piston slap summary for details on my nightmare that is still going. i even took it to another dealer(@52,000 miles) who said the octane adjuster bar was disconnected so they reconnected it and that seemed like it took care of the problem but it's back again and sounding crappier then ever, sounds like a combination of piston slap(on start up) & bad spark knock(during operation) that the dealers just can't/won't fix.. i now have 56,000 miles on it and don't know what to do. i guess i'll take it back in sooner or later. good luck with yours.

Old 12-26-1999, 09:46 AM
Question

Moveover: You've got 65K on the original spark plugs, change them!! I know they are "supposed" to be 100k but they can still get gunked up! Also, have you changed gas or do you live in an area that changes the mixture of the gas during the winter??? If you're running on reg, try going to the next step up of octaine. When you do change your spark plugs, take a GOOD look at your wires. See if any of them are getting worn. Sometimes they can develop wear patterns because of other parts of the engine rubbing on them. Good luck and post back what you decide to do.

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty
Woodland Green, Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window
running boards, rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires
ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
am/fm/cassette/cd, Clarion APA 5240 amp

Old 12-26-1999, 10:00 PM
I drove my buddies 98 4.6 today and it is doing the same thing. Pinging under both light and heavy acceleration. He has used fuel injector cleaner but it hasn't worked. He only has thirty-five thousand miles so I told him to take it back to the dealer again (he was just there two-weeks ago with this problem - diagnosis: no trouble codes it must be ok!) I will let you know what they say but whatever it is, it is not "normal!"

Old 12-28-1999, 09:08 AM
I've just learned this only occurs when the engine's completely warm. It won't ping at all for the first 15 min or so. Does this mean anything? Guess it runs richer when warming up, but I think something should be "carefully" leaning the mixture once the motor's warm. --Bought some Techron fuel system cleaner. I'll use it once I get my tank empty.

------------------
White 97 XLT SC 4.6, 4X4 "ORP" 3.55ls, tow pkg, long bed, Rhino liner, Owens running boards

Old 12-28-1999, 02:22 PM
Pinging is usually caused by hot spots of carbon pre-igniting the fuel mix inside the cylinder before the spark plug does. That's why it pings when the engine is warm. Gives the carbon time to get hot.

The Chevron Techron additive works great. I'm a firm believer in it. Follow the directions and let that thing do the job.. You may want to think about changing your oil soon after. The thing loosens up the built-up carbon and some of it gets blown past/thru/from the rings and into the oil.

I did it on an old truck and it cured the pinging problem. The guys where I bought the Techron told me to change the oil. Glad they suggested it because the oil turned black soon after treatment.

Subsequent treatments didn't blacken the oil. It was the initial treatment that really turned it black, I guess there was a "ton" of carbon inside the cylinders.

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-1999, 01:02 PM
Smile

Many thanks for the advice! I put two bottles of Chevron Techron and 21 gal. of Citgo midgrade in yesterday. Runs a little better already I'll put some Bosch +4s and new wires in soon. Thanks again

------------------
White 97 XLT SC 4.6, 4X4, 3.55ls, tow pkg, long bed, Rhino liner, Owens running boards

Old 01-02-2000, 01:34 PM
I don't mean to keep replying to my own post, but I really have to tell you: My engine is running perfectly! Haven't even finished the tank of gas w/ Techron added, but there's no pinging and it runs like new. The oil is getting a little dirty, so I'll change it soon.

Old 01-02-2000, 05:21 PM
MOVEOVER........Iam thrilled this worked for you! Good luck in the future too. Keep this thread up to date with your results.

------------------
97 F-150 4.6 auto, 4x2, 3.55 LS, WMS Velocity tube, K&N, Dynomax Super Turbo exhaust with Echo tube.
Oh yeah, it's Oxford White with crome wheels, Legacy shell & custom grill!

Old 01-02-2000, 09:54 PM
Always good to hear when something does the job and at 8 bucks per treatment, it's too cheap not to try it.

Yup... Watch that oil. I know that others in previous threads keep saying you don't have to change the oil, but from my experience, the oil turned black after that first treatment. Glad you're watching the oil in your truck too.

The next time you get a bit of pinging, do the Techron right away and you won't have to worry about the oil. Actually, what I did with the old truck, I treated the gas before every other oil change. Even though the oil didn't look contaminated with carbon, changing the oil just seemed like the prudent thing to do.

Old 01-03-2000, 09:57 AM
Dennis, just thought I'd tell ya. It's only five sixty-something at Wal-mart. That's the complete fuel treatment too, not just injector cleaner. I've seen it sell for over $8 too, but I think it's getting cheaper.

------------------
White 97 XLT SC 4.6, 4X4, 3.55ls, tow pkg, long bed, Rhino liner, Owens running boards

Old 01-03-2000, 10:22 AM
Moveover,

Be sure when you do the Techron to put a bottle in and up to 12 gallons of gas (I put in 5) so you can get the full strength of this stuff. Im a firm believer in it too.

What do you suppose caused your bad carbon build up so early? You may want to switch to a different brand gas.

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau, Profile Windstream Side Deflectors and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

Old 01-03-2000, 01:47 PM
MOVEOVER, 6 bucks??? Damned, if I was Chevron, I'd charge 20 bucks!! It's easily worth that and more.

Old 01-03-2000, 02:12 PM
I went to see a good friend. He removed the octane adjust bar and the pinging went away. The problem is, this will decrease base timing by 3deg. I am not willing to sacrifice performance. I suspect a revised calibration or an EGR problem. Carbon is a possibility, but not sure yet.

Pre-ignition occurs when carbon or foreign particle glows and ignites the mix. Detonation occurs when the mix spontaneously combusts (due to timing, A/F ratio etc). What you hear is the flame fronts colliding. Combustion temperature and pressure will increase.

If the Techron works for you, the problem is pre-ignition. Ford even has a machine to decarbon the chambers. They blast the cylinder with crushed walnut shells, the last time I did one. This is the next step for me. If not, further diagnosis is required.

No codes does NOT mean NPF! I am so tired of hearing this I could just puke. Find a tech with the ability to diagnose a problem. I drive 250mi to get my truck serviced.

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

Where we started.
http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery...ge=1165&pub=12
After a facelift.
http://www.zing.com/picture/ff/e9/b5...d.jpg.orig.jpg
trixters-playground@excite.com
www.truckinweb.com

Quick Reply: 4.6 pinging