Engine Ping After Timing Job

Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Ping After Timing Job

Picked up an 09, 5.4L with 118k on it and decided to do a full timing job. Put it all back together, truck starts fine, no uncommon noises, no codes, and runs great except when under a more than normal load (big hills). Definitely sounds like engine ping. Exact sound as this video.

Is it possible I’m one tooth off on the timing job? I figured if I did it wrong the computer would throw a code or not run correctly. The only problem I’m having is the loud engine ping while under a load. It doesn’t occur if I take off quickly from a stop. It occurs when I’m cruising, about 1.5-2.5k rpms and all of a sudden go up a big hill.

i will check the vac and IWE’s soon as several posts have said to do this. But this is not a dull rattle like the sound of two metal parts grinding. It is clearly a very high pitched rapid clink like a ball peen hammer on top of a piston that does not go away until you back off the throttle.

Spark plugs were changed about a month ago. Engine was really clean inside, no sludge.

I haven’t tried a higher octane but shouldn’t need to run more than 87.

No programmer. Shorty headers, CAI, and borola exhaust. I tried checking for header leaks but I can’t see or hear any.

i will run some sea foam through the tank but I doubt my an injector just randomly clogged.

If i give up and take it to a dealer is there a specific test I need to ask for to diagnose it correctly?

thanks, jason

Old 06-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I doubt a dealer will work on it. they don't like to work on modified vehicles. Has it been tuned for the CAI, exhaust etc?

Old 06-09-2019, 02:26 PM
No it has not been tuned but I never noticed any pinging noise until after the timing job. My hope is that someone can start off with confirming that I did the timing correctly or I would surely know such as a code would be thrown and it wouldn’t run properly. Because I don’t want to tear down that engine again. Then maybe hint at some other common things to check that would cause a ping if the timing was done correctly.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:53 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
You are running excessively lean if you have a CAI without a tune. Get a tune or put a stock intake on it. Do NOT use Seafoam, it's too hard on the cats, use Techron. As a TEST, use the highest octane fuel you can get and see if it really is spark knock.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the response “GLC”. So I have read a lot of pinging related posts that suggested the tune was the problem as well. They said they (tuners) typically advance the timing too much. I have also read that the stock ECU doesn't have a problem compensating for the minor changes a CAI and free flow exhaust add. The tune /not tune debate I’m still reading into.

i think I have the old intake still somewhere so I could give that a try. I plan to switch to 91 and run some Techron through it in the next tank of gas and see if there is a change.

I just wish I knew how to confirm the timing is spot on after the engine is put back together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Ping After Timing Job