Align engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Align engine mounts

I have a 2003 f150 XL Regular cab with a 4.6L Romeo engine. The truck has 231,000 miles on it and I'm in the process of replacing the timing chains, sprockets, tensioners & guides. I also had to remove the oil pan to clean out all the plastic pieces from broken guide(s). I have a four post lift in my garage so once I had the timing cover off I raised the truck up about 4.5 feet put a safety stand under the transmission, removed the bolt that goes through the motor mount, one on each side and then gently lowered the lift until the engine was lifted up a couple of inches. Got the pan off without any problem, got it cleaned up & cleaned the pick up screen as well, installed new Felpro gasket and bolted the pan back up. Now for the problem, I raised the lift back up to the original position and the motor mount on the drivers side slid in and lined up perfectly but the mount on the passenger side will only go in part way and then stops about an inch higher than where it needs to be to get the bolt back in. I've tried lifting a little from various points and letting the engine back down, trying to get more weight on the passenger side mount to get it back in place. No luck--I'm out of ideas at this point and hope maybe someone can offer a solution
Thanks.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it appears that no other members have experienced this problem since I did not see any responses. I'm happy to report that I did manage to get the engine to settle correctly into the motor mount on the passenger side by removing the passenger side front wheel which provided better access to the mount. I used a very long pry bar (actually a dibble bar used for planting trees) to move the engine slightly towards the front and it dropped right into the mount, inserted both thru bolts and torqued then to 65 ft pounds. Tomorrow I'll get busy replacing all the components in the timing kit. Thanks for reading.

Quick Reply: Align engine mounts