Proper factory recommended coolant drain/fill procedure '13 F150 5.0L V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper factory recommended coolant drain/fill procedure '13 F150 5.0L V8

Hello all,

There are plenty of threads on draining, flushing, refilling, etc. Some say to drain the engine block, others say to flush the entire system with water then refill with 50/50, others say don't use 50/50 because when you flush with water and only refill with 50/50, you won't really ending up with 50/50 overall. Some say use a flush chemical, others say not to.

Does anyone here know the actual factory recommended procedure that dealers use?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I made a free contraption for my air compressor that I attach a gallon sized container and it feeds coolant into the engine to flush it with 50/50 mix of new coolant.

Then I fill the system, run the engine. Then check it a few more times and add as needed.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I made a free contraption for my air compressor that I attach a gallon sized container and it feeds coolant into the engine to flush it with 50/50 mix of new coolant.

Then I fill the system, run the engine. Then check it a few more times and add as needed.
Can you describe it a bit?

Old 01-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I got a gallon jug (water jug), drilled a hole in the cap, stuck a short piece of hose in it for the air compressor blower chuck to pressurize the bottle. Then drilled a hole the side of the bottle, and stuck a long hose in till it reached the bottom. I then got a rubber stopper, drilled a hole in it, and got a barbed coupler for the water bottle hose. I then hook it all up, and fill the 1 gallon jug up with 50/50 fresh coolant, and attach the rubber stopper to the upper most hose. I simply press the lever on the air chuck and it pressurizes the bottle, which then feeds liquid into the radiator under pressure, thus flushing the system.

I reduce the pressure down to 15 PSI to be safe... but I don't think the water jug can even hold max 20 psi.

You can even with with a shop back, using the blower end... same concept (might even be safer).

Just something to pressurize the water jug...

Quick Reply: Proper factory recommended coolant drain/fill procedure '13 F150 5.0L V8