2003 excursion 5.4 bank 1 not firing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 excursion 5.4 bank 1 not firing?

Hi im new here but been reading alot of threads here for years. Thanks for the help through the years.

Last week on my way to work i stoped to get a coffee and when i started the truck up it was running poorly. Before she was running like a top for having 225,000 mile on it. Side note 3 years ago it blow a head gasket. So everything from the block up has been cleaned and or replaced except sensors, injectors and intake manifold.

Im getting signal to the coils and injectors on the passenger side but im thinking not enough fuel. In the last week I've put in new fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator, o2 sensor passenger side and cleaned out the fuel rail the best i could.

At the fuel rail pressure test port (passenger side) im getting 32psi at idle and up to 38psi when i rev it up and it dropped to about 25psi one time when idling down.. If i clamp the fuel return line shut at idle i get about 85psi.

I had a mechanic friend take a look at it and he seems to think theres a clog in the fuel rail somewhere. He said he's seen it before?? I cant find any info on this and im curious if anybody ever had this issue?

Last edited by Robert Kelley; 06-21-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not had this issue, nor have I heard of clogging or the odd restriction of only Half the fuel rail. BUT...anything is possible.

The fuel rail is not super hard to remove clean and inspect. Just have to do some digging to get to it.

I would also closely inspect the connectors to the injectors and coils & make sure that no little vermin hadn't started chewing on wires to them. Also check over the cranks shaft and cam sensors.

Might be good to hook it to scanner capable of live data so you can see the spark and injector impulses

Quick Reply: 2003 excursion 5.4 bank 1 not firing?