Saw this AFTER I put top-end back together

Old 11-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw this AFTER I put top-end back together

1999 Expedition, 4.6l Windsor, 215k
Torqued heads down, new gaskets/bolts/chains/tensioners, went to install exhaust manifolds, and saw this:
I left the exhaust manifold nuts on the studs when I installed the heads. I forgot about the clearance issue on the right side (undo engine mount, raise engine up) in order to r&r exhaust manifold.
After top-end reassembly, I discovered that two exhaust manifold nuts are sitting top of engine mount. Btw, that head did sit uneven when first placed on block. I knew nothing had moved (cams/crank), and I had also checked mating surfaces for warpage, but, I took head off again, and rechecked it all. Yup, still all good. Checked new head gasket, looks good, no debris stuck inside. Put it back on, it felt like it sat "flatter", but maybe not perfect. Torqued new bolts, 30ftlbs, +90°, out 1 turn, then 30ftlbs, +90°, +90°.

My questions:
1. Should I loosen new tty head bolts and retorque AFTER releasing the bind created by exhaust nuts, or
2. Leave it alone

If #1, do I torque to different specs, as these bolts have been torqued once already.

Fyi: I am not trying to start a discussion on reusing tty bolts--I already own two sets of tty bolts that were all torqued once. At $100/set, I am ready to reuse my bolts. I am more concerned with the possible improper torque caused by the exhaust nuts.

Any thoughts/advice? Hoping that Dynotech might chime in (I've read some of your posts.) I've searched the web for an answer, but seems I'm the only person in the world that had his nuts get in the way of torquing down a head! Note: same issue on two different 4.6/Expeditions--except I removed the nuts and jacked engine up when I did the first one 3 years ago...

Last edited by BigOleGreenPete; 11-26-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Search this Thread