Motor mount problems w/ engine change

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor mount problems w/ engine change

I recently purchased a 4x4 cab and half. Neither the person I bought the truck from or I knew of the hidden engine problems. The person had it for the winter use only, no maintenance. So, when I changed all the fluids bumper to bumper, the motor had a lower end knock and later blew #3 spark plug clean out of the head. It had been "repaired" at some point by someone who shouldn't have done it. I purchased a used 4.6 out of an Expedition. Little did I know of the engine differences waiting for me. Yes, I looked on the forums and was told an 04 would work. Not so much.

I had to use my intake and harness, the 04 didn't match the connector. The lower radiator hose/oil filter unit wouldn't work, my exhaust won't bolt to the manifolds, the 04 motor mounts wouldn't bolt up right, and now, the @&%#@$ power steering pump won't fit. On the 01 the PS pump was at the bottom of the motor and the 04 is at the top and hits the steering arm bushing.

I've resolved I need to purchase the passenger side catalytic converters. The driver side appears to bolt up ok but I don't know if the passenger side catalytics will bolt evenly to the driver's side once cut. What I need to know is how can I resolve the PS pump issue? This will be my daily driver if I can get it running. HELP!!

Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
How far can you strip the 04 attachments and use the 01? I would assume the engine block is the same. Don't know, just guessing.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good suggestion. The blocks exterior are not the same. The 04 puts the power steering pump as part of the head. The 01 has the power steering pump below the head below the steering shaft.