Opinions on Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Camshaft

Was browsing around and found out that Lunati makes cams for my 4.6L 2v. This is the one that peaked my interest, mostly due to its RPM range, compared to what other cams are rated for. Looking at options for more torque to pull my Tracker Grizzly 1860 boat. It is quite heavy, especially when I fill the truck bed box I am using as a livewell. I would love a set of trick flow heads, but that is out of the question, right now.

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2570&gid=289

Hydraulic Roller Swinging Follower Cam Set. Excellent torque with good HP and fuel economy. Smooth idle. Require tuning.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/264
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 217/225
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .475"/.475"
LSA/ICL: 116/113
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: Idle-5600
Includes: Cams Only
Part Number: 21020700
Previous Part Number: 55200

Old 06-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
This kinda brought back memories of my brother and I hauling wood for the house on an old farm trailer. We had grossly overloaded the trailer but I didn't think anything about it. I was driving a 2004 4.6 2v Supercrew. It should pull it easily. It didn't. We hooked up the old 1959 Jeep station wagon that has a flathead straight 6 in it and it literally walked off with it. The Jeep makes an incredible 88HP. It's also running 4.88 gears with 32" tires. If you want to improve the pulling of the truck, there is no better way than to gear it accordingly. The cam you show isn't much more than stock and frankly, isn't even a 3/4 cam. You'll spend a lot of money and I doubt you'll know the difference. If you have the standard 3.55 axle, moving to a 4.10 will be the best bang for the buck, assuming stock size tires. If you have big tires, even a 4.56 axle is not out of the norm for your application. Cam, headers, all make it sound nice but performance increases are tiny at best.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck came with 3.73's, but I changed to 4.56 a long time ago. I have 33" tires. I can pull the boat fine, except on big inclines, and it struggles a bit, to get moving, when the AC is on.

I intend to keep this truck as a toy, even when I finally am able to get me a Super Duty. I have quite a few plans when that time comes. Problem is that is a long ways off, as wife needs a vehicle first, and this level of power isn't cutting it for me. I was already looking at a Steeda underdrive pulley, and maybe some magnaflow cats, to compliment my dual exhaust. I intend to get a tuner, probably from MPT, also. Electric fan was also a consideration, but I am a bit iffy on wanting to tackle that.

Last edited by dewalt17; 06-29-2017 at 12:28 PM.