Cam phasers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam phasers

Hi all, new to the site, and was reading through most of what was posted in regards to cam phasers, I have an 08 with 5.4L with 254000 Kms, I've had issues with the rough idle when in drive thus and backing up my boat, lately I've starting having performance issues, I got a check engine light and brought it in, I got a code saying issue with passenger side phaser.

I see everywhere on You tube vids and some forums saying to stay away from aftermarket. I see some here have opted to use aftermarket primarily Dorman, but nothing saying how well they fared using them. Can anyone tell me what kind of success you've had with aftermarket VCT's

Thanks for all and any replies.

Mike

Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
From what I've heard, you should use the latest Ford parts. However, you may not need a phaser or you may need something else in addition.

What was the exact Pxxxx code?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont have the code, the tech who ran the diagnostics a few weeks ago says the error came from the passenger side and that it seemed to him the phaser was stuck open, the motor has diminished power and is sluggish when accelerating, worse so at higher speeds, there is a deeper sound emanating from the exhaust, kind of like when you step on it and it goes down into passing gear but seems more like I'm in low 2 instead, at first mechanic thought it might be a plugged up cat, but the diagnostics shows different, the timing chain slap is worse that ever in the past week,
\
I've bought a set of VCT selenoids and valve cover gaskets, I'm still looking for a better price on the OEM phasers, looks like they'll have to come from south of the border like the selenoids have, still looking to find a Cloyers timing chain kit, but fail to find any willing to ship north from either Ebay of Amazon.com

What I'm afraid of is after I tear into that motor that I find I've bought all these parts for nothing if the motor is scrap

Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
With that many miles on it, I'd replace the complete timing set and VCT system, and consider a new oil pump too. Phasers do weird things with low oil pressure.

Try rockauto.com, they ship to Canada.