Advice - replacing engine valve lifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice - replacing engine valve lifters

The truck:

'05 5.4L with 156k that I've owned for 9 years and about 100k worth of driving

The background:

About a year ago my truck started missing. I took it to my mechanic/family friend and he told me I had a couple bad spark plugs, a transmission going out, and directed my attention to the ticking noise associated with a lifter going bad (none of which is work he does being a small shop with a lot of business). About to head across country to start a 1 year masters program, I differed all of the work that needed to be done for as long as I could but eventually replaced the transmission and spark plugs. Now that I'm out of school with some spare time before starting work, I want to replace the lifters myself since I'm still hearing the noise and I plan on milking this baby for all shes worth - hopefully another 4 or 5 years. Prior to this, I've done some minor suspension and body work on this truck, and I rebuilt an old '85 T-Bird, but that's about it... Also worth noting, when I tried to get an estimate from the dealership on how much replacing the lifters through them would cost, I was told it would be cheaper to replace the engine all together Needless to say, I'm definitely not interested in shelling out $5-6k as a poor recent grad.

The questions:

1) With about 3 weeks set aside to replace the lifters, is there anything else I should replace while I've gotten it all broken down? I'm already considering replacing the Cam Phasers/Timing Belt/Etc. but haven't committed to anything yet. While I'm at it, I'm also replacing two window regulators that have gone bad, leaving two windows immobile.

2) I don't know if there is another post covering this, but I'd really be interested in a list that has compiled a list of everything needed for the job (from specialty tools like the timing wedge needed for the cam phaser replacement, to gaskets and electrical harness retainers that inevitably break during the engine breakdown). I've looked around online but haven't found a full list yet...

3) Any other tips/comments thrown my way on this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks in advance for reading this far and for any help you may have for me, y'all rock.

Last edited by HunterLovesFord; 06-08-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
There is a lot of discussion on this forum about cam phasors that you need to read. It's not your lifters making the noise. Do a search and read lots of posts. Did you fix the miss? The 05s got some bad fuel injectors.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the reply Roadie, I've actually read a number of your other posts/comments - you're definitely very well versed on the 5.4.

With that being said, why are you so certain its a cam phasor problem? I'm not trying to question your knowledge, just understand the thought process/what is pointing that direction. From what I've read, I was under the impression that both have been known to cause a similar ticking noise and commonly start to fail at the 100k+ mark? I'll definitely read a number of the cam phasor posts on here in order to better educate myself on the matter before getting started.

Follow up question: assuming it is a cam phasor problem and that I plan to keep the truck another 4-6 years/50-75k miles, would you recomend I still replace the lifters? How about the known fuel injector issue? Even if their not an issue now, I'd hate to get this done and then drive a year or so only to find I'm going to have to pay a mechanic a premium to do it in the future because I no longer have the time...

The miss cleared up with the spark plug replacements, she runs great now. However, I'm also toying with the idea of pulling all the spark plugs and cleaning out the carbon buildup that occurs around their housing. This would be more for preventative purposes than anything else. Once I start work, I don't think I'll have time to do them myself and the dealership charges an arm and a leg to swap one out.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It might be my terminology that is incorrect, but you really don't have "valve lifters" in the sense of the term.. You have a overhead cam that pushes the valves directly on top of them.

The 'cam phaser' deal is what controls the timing of the cam.

In '04 the 5.4 went to the 3 valve setup and that cam phaser deal. From all the posts I've read on them, it's not "if" they go out, it's "when"...

Anyway, check out a YouTube guy called FordTechMaculoco or something like that... He has several vids on the cam phaser issue and series on how to replace it in your garage.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 06-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Hey Mitch, thanks for the reply.

The terminology on these seem to go a couple different ways... I've also heard them referred to as hydraulic lash adjusters. Does that ring a bell?

Yeah, given what youre saying about when and not if, I believe I'll go ahead and replace them. Pretty sure I'll just go ahead and spring for the whole timing kit "package". From what I've read, the plastic tensioners and tensioner guide rails seem to give out pretty often on the 5.4 as well.

Funny you should mention FordTechMaculoco. I've actually been on his channel a lot since I found him yesterday. He does a great job breaking everything down step by step.

Thanks for everything!

Old 06-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hydraulic Lash to me is on old school engines with lifters, push rods and rocker arms. You adjust the "lash" on the bolt that holds the rocker arm.

Again, different terminology from a different generation I suspect.. (I'm old.. )

I had a 97 F150 with the old 5.4 in it and didn't have a lick of trouble with it for over 255,000 miles... After the 04's came out with the new 3 valve and the posts started flowing on those, I knew I didn't want to even touch one of those engines! Just my own prejudiced opinion..

So, what do I do.. Get a 13 Ecoboost! ha, ha!

Anyway, no issues with the Eco, just as I'm sure most folks have no issues with their 3 valve 5.4's..

Good luck with the kit!

Mitch