06 f150 - just purchased questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 f150 - just purchased questions

hey guys, I just picked up an 06 f150 with 100k on it. (prev 96 f250 7.5L).
i heard quite a bit of problems with the 3v motor but i got it for dirt cheap so i figured what the hell.

No maintenance records on carfax so im going to assume it wasnt maintained very well.

first thing i did was drop in some mobil 1 full synthetic 5-30 and a new air filter. (old oil definitely seemed a bit sludgy)

been doing some research but i would like to know what else i can do to ensure i wont run into many issues in the future

engine runs good, no ticking or signs of phaser problems ect. starts fine, however when i give it a rev it will come down to a rough idle for a few seconds and then correct itself.

Also the power steering seems a bit stiff at stop lights. idle rpm is around 550. fluid level is fine.

I want to do an oil pressure test, replace fuel filter, replace the plugs, check vct solenoid screen ect, maybe seafoam?

any other things i should look into or do?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
From what I've read on this site, Seafoam can harm the cats and Chevron Techron is the only FI cleaner that Ford recommends. I use Gumout with PEA which is the ingredient that does the cleaning in Techron.