coolant leak 5.4 triton v8

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant leak 5.4 triton v8

I have a 2000 f 150 XLT 5.4 two wheel drive automatic tranny it has 262,000 and this is what has happened .

First it was acting like it had a fouled spark plug .so bought a new set of plugs and when i took the back spark plug out on the passenger side of the engine
the hole had oil and water mix in it, so i replaced all of the plugs.. blew all of the holes out first of course then i notice that there is water in the valley of the engine so i did some research and found out that the intake can crack. so i replaced the intake manifold and all of the injectors for the heck of it

after i put it back together i had a ruff time getting it started , i guess from air in the lines anyway the truck ran great for a few days https://www.f150online.com/forums/im...face-thumb.gif
then on my way home today it started running real bad again the water hose that goes from the heater core to the intake was leaking so i blew all of the holes out with compressed air and changed all of the rubber boots on the spark plugs on that side of the engine where the plugs were wet . and that didn't help then i noticed that when i reved up the engine there was water on the ground by the exhaust pipe . not a lot but enough to be concerned , there is no water in the oil . i have not seen oil in the antifreeze.. the intake i put on it is new from china maybe that's the problem i was trying to save a buck the truck has been down and im loosing money everyday .the truck never got hot that i noticed .and i'm not sure what to do next help please

Old 04-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.42000f150
I have a 2000 f 150 XLT 5.4 two wheel drive automatic tranny it has 262,000 and this is what has happened .

First it was acting like it had a fouled spark plug .so bought a new set of plugs and when i took the back spark plug out on the passenger side of the engine
the hole had oil and water mix in it, so i replaced all of the plugs.. blew all of the holes out first of course then i notice that there is water in the valley of the engine so i did some research and found out that the intake can crack. so i replaced the intake manifold and all of the injectors for the heck of it

after i put it back together i had a ruff time getting it started , i guess from air in the lines anyway the truck ran great for a few days https://www.f150online.com/forums/im...face-thumb.gif
then on my way home today it started running real bad again the water hose that goes from the heater core to the intake was leaking so i blew all of the holes out with compressed air and changed all of the rubber boots on the spark plugs on that side of the engine where the plugs were wet . and that didn't help then i noticed that when i reved up the engine there was water on the ground by the exhaust pipe . not a lot but enough to be concerned , there is no water in the oil . i have not seen oil in the antifreeze.. the intake i put on it is new from china maybe that's the problem i was trying to save a buck the truck has been down and im loosing money everyday .the truck never got hot that i noticed .and i'm not sure what to do next help please
Might be wise to do a hydrocarbon test on the antifreeze, this tests for exhaust gases in the antifreeze. If present or too elevated then you probably have a bad head gasket. Or at least help rule out the head gasket.

If you didn't fix the heater core line/hose it will continue to weep onto the spark plugs well and give you misfires. It was clear if that was done? Have you scanned for codes? If so what was tripped?

Can't say if the new intake manifold is a problem or not....you may have damaged gaskets going back together?? IDK You'll have to do a smoke test to see if it is cracked or leaking.
Don't bother spraying carb cleaner or such around to try to find the leak the engine PCM reacts to fast to really pin point it. Unless you have a scanner that has live data and able to see the short fuel trims react to the spray on the leak.

Some condensation out the tailpipe is normal, not too concerned with that , unless it is pouring out by the cup fulls and not table spoons....unfortunately more repair time is needed.

For sure get the heater hose fixed....you might have to put new sparkplugs in again on the passenger side....the water /moisture migration may have cracked the porcelain ?

Last edited by enriched; 04-01-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Wet COPS could be the problem.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:12 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Don't bother spraying carb cleaner
At all. If you have a scanner, use an unlit propane torch.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Ok now i have replaced the boots on the coil packs and it runs fine but i'm still loosing water.what is a hydro carbon test and where can i get that done or can i do it myself. i fixed the leaking hose . the heater core is not leaking or should i say that the carpet inside the cab on the passenger side shows no sign of moister .

Old 04-02-2017, 08:07 PM
I have a innova 3130 scanner but i don't know how to use all of its functions ?>

Old 04-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The hydrocarbon test is a test of the coolant to see if a head gasket is leaking combustion products into the coolant. Any shop should be able to do it or you can buy the test equipment and do it yourself such as the unit in the link below.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-Com...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 PM
another ? can water get into the exhaust through the intake manifold ?

Old 04-03-2017, 02:01 PM
ok I did the the block test and the fluid didn't change colors now what?

Old 04-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok I did the the block test and the fluid didn't change colors now what?
What did the instructions say for the test kit you got?

DID to pressure test the coolant system?

Old 04-22-2018, 04:38 PM
Need help

i have no heater hoses coming from the heater core at all i was wondering if anyone can send me pictures of where the heater hoses connect

Apparently when i got the truck it turned out my heater was bypassed all I want is my heater to work properly anyone please help me figure this out😢

Old 04-22-2018, 05:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
First, you have to figure out why they bypassed the heater core. Was it leaking? Was it plugged?

There is a critical reason why it's bypassed.