Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2000, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Check Engine Light

I have a 97 F-150 Super Cab 4X4 with the 5.4 Liter motor. The only modification that was done I put a set of 265/75x15 tires on it. Everytime I pull my bassboat or put the truck in a strain such as stompping on the gas, the check engine light comes on. It will always go out in a couple of days. The dealer has no frickin idea. Do you guy's ???

Old 01-03-2000, 09:18 PM
Markus,
I'm not sure if my check engine light coming on will help (97 F150, 4.6L) but about 6 months after purchasing the truck the light came on for no reason. I had Ford look into it and they "downloaded" new software to one of the computer chips. Something to do with a misfire in the engine (although I had no problems or heard anything), if it happened a number of times within a given time span then the check engine light would come on. The new program was suppose to increase the time span. I've had no more problems since the firmware correction.

------------------
1997 F150 black Flareside, 4.6L, 5 speed manual

Old 01-04-2000, 07:34 AM
Wink

I also had the same thing happen like Earnhardt did. I had about 2000 miles on the engine when the check engine lite came on, and off and on again. Scared the daylights out of me because I was traveling. When I got to DC I took it to the Ford dealer and they fixed the problem by loading the computer with an upgrade. It sounds like Earnhardt had this happen when the truck was fairly new and so did I and that we both had the 4.6 engine, so this may not be the fix for you. Do mention upgrading the computer to your Ford dealer though. What size tires came on the truck? Maybe, and I really mean maybe becasue I don't see how your tires could be too big for that 5.4 engine, but maybe check into seeing if the tires are putting to much of a strain on the truck engine. Also, what weight oil are you running? How many miles are on the spark-plugs?

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards
rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd
Clarion APA 5240 amp

Old 01-04-2000, 09:12 AM
Alrighty now, who forgot to tell him to check the gas cap? That causes this symptom too.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!), MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening "Summer Grill's", Bosch platinum + 4's.

Old 01-04-2000, 10:05 AM
Does it have a miss or a rough idle ?

------------------
MustangNet

'95 Eddie Bauer F-150 SC & '64 Falcon/Ranchero
-------------------------------------
Are you A.S.E. Certified ? If so, ask me about
iATN...the best tool you'll ever have ! ! And it's
free

Old 01-04-2000, 10:57 AM
Once the MIL light lights, a code gets stored in the computer even if it goes away, the only way to clear it is to clear keep-alive-memory. Lots of things can cause the light. One you might get is transmission slippage.
Take it in and have diagnostics run, it'll be worth it.

birdman

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light