Too Lean, Too Rich - Just not running right !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Too Lean, Too Rich - Just not running right !!

Well, Neal and I were heading to Grandbend to watch some drag racing. We both drove our respective trucks. We were on the highway and the check engine light came on in my truck. This happened about 30 - 40 minutes on the road. The light comes on for around 18-20 secs., half way throught the light the truck start to lose power and Neal could see black exhaust coming out the tailpipes but not very black, just enough to see it. The truck would continue to lose power for about a minute or two unless I shifted out of overdrive to get the rpm's up and burn the excess gas off. It would burn it off and then pick right back up and this would repeat again in about 1 minute or so. It ended up that I had to drive around without overdrive on just to eliminate switching back and forth all of the time. Now, when I put the exhaust on last October, I had a new oxygen sensor installed (maybe 40,000 to 50,000 kms). I had problems about a month ago when starting the truck. It would start up fine but would try to idle around 400-500 rpm and then stalled. This happened twice, the third time I played with the gas pedal to keep it running and got it out of the accessory shop that I was in. I took it back to the dealership that I go to and told them, they suggested the Idle Air Control Bypass (IAC) sensor on the side of the throttle body. I put a new one on and haven't had any problems since, till now. I had them pull the codes off of the truck and it came up with codes 173 and 174. 173 states oxygen sensor - lean bank 1. 174 states oxygen sensor - rich bank 1. Neal and I thought it could be a dirty MAF or thottle body so I tried that first. Clean them up really good but driving back to Windsor yesterday and still had the same problem. A couple of people said that it maybe or may not be the oxygen sensor because the oxygen sensor is the last to know. It could be another sensor doing something wrong and the computer doesn't know until the oxygen sensor picks it up. This morning, I left for work, and it was about 5 minutes down the road and it started to act up again. Same thing as before just alot sooner. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have an appointment next Monday morning to start the trouble shooting to see what is at fault. But some pre testing could help eliminate some of the shop time.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 09-18-2001, 02:59 PM
Your signature shows you replaced your spark plugs. Could one of our ignition coils be loose?

Old 09-18-2001, 03:14 PM
Cool '94 Baby

No iginition coils on my truck. My truck is a '94, goes from Disturbutor cap straight to spark plugs. I am going to do a tune-up next month, I mentioned about that at the dealership. They said a tune-up wouldn't make a different because that doesn't affect how much fuel gets delivered to the motor. It just provides the spark.

Dean

Old 09-18-2001, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you replaced your injectors?

Could the injectors be clogged and be getting spurts of fuel instead of the usual stream during mixture? That may cause it. Also, check your fuel lines and rails.

Hope this helps,

-Flea

Old 09-18-2001, 05:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

What brand was that 02 sensor,it could be shot already. Maybe you have a bad harness on the 02 sensor,too. that would as good as it being no good. I had the same thing happen to me once on a Ranger I used to have,an 02 sensor and a thermostat cleared it up. For some reason the engine was not getting hot enough to run correctly. It would get loaded up with fuel,and blow black smoke,right before it would leave me stranded on the side of the road in 30 deg. weather. That got old REAL quick.,,,,98

Old 09-18-2001, 06:42 PM
Talking

Sorry I can't help you with your problem Izzy Eddy, but what was Neal doing behind you? I didn't think he would follow anyone.

Old 09-18-2001, 07:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... YOSHI : I was behind IZZY because I did'nt know how to get to GRAND BEND. He did. ...... HEY some of us are smart and some of us are fast! I chose to be fast!!!!!!LOL! Got to go, I broke my wrist/hand and it's hard to type, bye!

Old 09-18-2001, 09:11 PM
Check the fuel pressure reg, they have been know to cause a rich cond. They will suck fuel into intake if the diaphram is blown.

Last edited by Fixer; 09-19-2001 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:16 PM
I don't think it's engine related. It sounds more like a problem with the torque convertor clutch. It could be caused by any number of things. For example, if a code 536 comes up, that means a problem in the BOO (Brake On/Off) circuit, but it would affect the TCC, and create a drivability problem like you described. Perform a KOER test, and post the results.

Take care
~Chris

Old 09-19-2001, 08:10 PM
Cool

Oh man !! First it could be the wheels and tires creating a vibration in my truck, which has not been verified. And now, I may have transmission issues !!

Dean

Old 09-20-2001, 01:36 AM
Try the 02 sensor first, since that is the code being set. If you unplug it, the truck will of course set a code, but will run in "open loop" for the 02 sensor readings. It may not run as well as with the sensor, but should clear up the rich/lean issues enought to tell if the sensor is the culprit.

Old 09-24-2001, 01:04 PM
Cool

Well, just got back from the dealership. We hooked the truck up to the S.B.D.S. (computer) and was doing some tests on it to see what the computer would pick up and get the codes off of it too. It picked up the Oxygen Sensor codes again along with a couple codes for the Mass Air Flow Sensor. (Oh man, not something else wrong ) Anyhow, the technician (John) pulled up one screen where we could see different measurements at one time. Everything seemed to be in working order. Okay, let's try another measuring tool (fuel pressure). Started the screen back up and the O2 sensor was stuck at 1.14 Volts, then shut it off and turned it back on and then the O2 sensor was stuck at 0.00 Volts. No movement, yyyyeeeeaaaa !!!!! So, in about another 2 hours I have to take it back in and get the O2 sensor put in. They had to wait for one to come in from another dealership. That's cool, can't have everything for every vehicle on the road. So, time will tell and I will certainly continue this story after I drive back to Windsor tonight for a definite check.

Dean

Old 09-24-2001, 06:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... DEAN : "TOLD YA!" LOL!

Old 09-24-2001, 07:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Cool IzzyEddy!
Hope everything works out on it!

Old 09-25-2001, 02:02 PM
Cool

YEAH !!!! Well, after a ride home last night (hour & a half) and then a cruise today. NO engine light !! I guess the Oxygen sensor solved the problem !!!! Now to figure out my vibration problem !!! (see pre-97 section ... Vibration ...)

Dean

Quick Reply: Too Lean, Too Rich - Just not running right !!