5.4L Horesepower Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.4L Horesepower Ratings

What are the differences between the "old" 235 hp 5.4 and the '99 and later with 260?

BEJohn

Old 12-20-1999, 01:50 PM
So far from earlier discussions we think its bigger valves, valve seats and ports and less restrictive heads.

490!

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!), MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening "Summer Grill's", Bosch platinum + 4's.

Old 12-20-1999, 02:00 PM
LHM
I think they also used different cams and intakes. The 2000 has a different intake from the 99's and also different manifolds.

LHM

------------------
2000 F-150 Super Cab XLT 4x4 ORP 5.4liter V8, Towing Package, Rear Slider, Remote keyless Entry, Black Exterior, Medium Graphite interior, manual shift 4x4. Current mods Gooseneck hitch and mud flaps.

Old 12-20-1999, 04:44 PM
Thanks, guys. I'd be interested to hear everybody else's 2 cents as well. My brother has a '97 Lariat Flareside 5.4L 4x2 (black, w/ silver two-tone and gray leather) that he bought new. I drive occasionally, and even with 5 or 6 adults, it never seems short on power. Seems very torquey. In fact, I like it so much I just ordered a 2000 Lariat Flareside 5.4L (Deep Wedgewood Blue Clearcoat, solid, gray leather) for myself!
The only other things it will have is the towing package and 3.55 posi.
With all the talk about the cost effectiveness of the Superchip, I may go for that upgrade; but I don't foresee drag racing it or anything. (I have my '72 Buick GS 455 for that!)
Not to deviate too far off the subject, I had a new '89 Mustang 5.0 LX hatchback for about 6 years that I babied (Mobil 1, annual antifreeze, etc.) and it had a persistent, abeit minor, oil leak that developed when it was only a couple years old. Then the driver's power lock actuator went south after about 3 years. The rest of the car was pretty decent, though. I had the original Gatorbacks on it when I sold it with 54,000 miles on it, which is a real testament to just how I did baby it.
If my new F-150 has any oil leaks, I think I'll drive it into the Mississippi River.
BEJohn

Old 12-20-1999, 04:55 PM
BEJohn,
Would that be up steam of St. Louis?
If so please let me know as I would like to go fishing for it and pick some parts off it.

Seriously, I have a 97 and hardly (door crack drivers side) anything gone wrong in 45K miles.
Ford replaced the slip yoke and the pitman arm and tried to fix the leaky rear window but nothing major. A few TSB's.

All in all a very impressive truck.

------------------
'97 F150 Red/Silver Lariat, SC, 157" wheelbase.
Factory Equipment includes: 4x4, 5.4L, Automatic, 3.55LS, Grey leather, Power bucket seats, HD Tow package, Rear sliding window, Ford bed Liner, electric shift on the fly.

Aftermarket additions/modifications: Superchipped, Bug deflector, Window Drip edge guards, Sony 10 Disk CD changer, Chrome Nerf Bars, K&N Air filter, Air box Modification, 2-1/2" True Dual exhaust with chrome tips out the back, 36" glass packs, 265/75/16 Michelin LTX A/T's, custom rear spring pack, cranked torsion bars, Extang Tonneau cover.

Future additions: Hellwig bar, tinted front windows, still looking for "good" floor mats?.

Old 12-20-1999, 05:26 PM
Cool

Redone,
No, I'm way done yonder in New Orleenz. Seriously, I'm glad to here that. My brother's only has 28k mi. and has been trouble free. But I'm selling my '96 Maxima with about 29k mi. that I bought brand new and now I'm really spoiled. That car has not so much as hiccupped since the day I drove it home, and it's fast as hell (5 speed). I need a truck, though. Anybody want a garaged, Mobil 1'd, '96 Maxima GXE 5-speed with less than 29k mi. for $13k?
BEJohn

Quick Reply: 5.4L Horesepower Ratings