MAF mod underway!1

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation MAF mod underway!1

I have been considering the MAF mod for a while but held back because some have had their check engine light come on afterward. Today I took off the flat plate with the two bolts that covers the sampling tube to see how the computer would react before I started hacking away at it.

I intended to try it out and reset the computer once the check engine light came on but to my surprise the light never came on! I drove around for a while and still no light. Oh well, I guess I'll be removing that puppy 2nite and feeding it to the Dremmel tool in the morning

Can't wait to remove that huge obstruction. It may not do much to improve HP but, common sense tells me it should breathe alot better without that big hunk of aluminum blocking the airflow.

Wish me luck and I'll post back with the results.

Old 09-08-2001, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LE PEW,

I have removed my MAS restriction. A few tips.. When u put the gutted MAS back in place do not put the turblence plate back on after u have gutted the unit. The truck will not run properly, as it will start to detoniate. The truck should run fine without tht plate and no engine light should come on.. This is what worked in my truck.. Hope this helps...

Old 09-08-2001, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Mod complete

Well, I did the MAF mod and it has been successful so far. I never got the check engine light so I did'nt bother to reset the computer, should I do it anyway? What are the advantages as I see most of you do a reset after every mod?

After gutting the MAF body I put it in the vise using rubber soft jaws. I loosened the hacksaw blade and ran one end through the body and retightened it so that the blade passed through the inside but was still connected to both ends of the hacksaw. With this method I made short work of carving out the obstruction, I even filed away the the screw hole threads on the sampling tube. Not much left for the Dremmel after the hacksaw and file treatment.

While I had the MAF out after removing the offending hunk of metal I had some time left over so I wet sanded the inner surface and proceeded to further polish it with steel wool. It's not quite a mirror finish but it is shiny and smoothe! I'm not trying to brag but the finished product was absolutely sanitary, you would'nt ever guess it was modified.

I had more time after that so I went ahead and removed the silencer tube in the elbow. Mine was glued in but by using a screwdriver and a pair of Wiss tin snips I manged to remove it without ungluing the accordian rubber piece from the elbow. Afterwards I did notice more intake noise but not the howling sound described by others who have done the same ( maybe different between 4.6 and 5.4).

Now for the results! The truck does feel a little stronger and throttle response has definetly improved but strangely enough the thing I noticed most was improved shifting with the auto tranny. Shifts seem a little quicker and firmer but I have only driven a few miles so far and such a determination would be premature at this point.

This was a great experience for me as I did'nt spend more than a couple of hours of my time and achieved good results but this particular mod has left others running to the dealer for a new MAF( major bummer! ). If you are considering it I strongly recomend that you first remove the aluminum plate that covers the sampling tube before you begin cutting and filing. It's held on with 2 security Torx screws and is very easy to accses. If your truck runs OK with the sampling tube open the mod should have no effect on the computer. If you get the check engine light after removing the cover and resetting the computer does'nt clear it then all you have to do is replace the cover and youre back to the original configuration without having altered the unit. At this point you'll realize that the MAF mod is probably not for you.

One other thing, I noticed crud on my throttle body but I intend to dicuss this on a seperate post.

A great many thanks to all of you for sharing your advice and the wisdom of your experiences with us all and myself in particular. If any thing (good or bad) develops as a result of this mod I will keep you all informed of course.

RTZracer: where is this turbulance plate? Is it the one with the 2 screws that covers the smpling tube?

Last edited by LE PEW; 09-08-2001 at 11:22 PM.

Quick Reply: MAF mod underway!1