06 5.4 timing chain tensioner and guides

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This wasn't a fleet vehicle. It was a 2001 or 2002 F150 with about 130k on it. The orifice below the rear cam bearing girdle had some sludge in there, but this one was about 18 months ago, so I don't remember if it was completely blocked. I swapped in a used Crown Vic police engine. The ones that come into the local salvage yard are pristine inside. All three of the failed ones I replaced were Crown Vic police engines from Norfolk. Now that I think about it, I can't recall if the engine I swapped in was a 2004 or 2006. I remember the 2009 engine went into a 2003 Explorer (I only remember that one because it was provisioned for dual knock sensors which is what I needed for the Explorer). On this swap, I reused the oil pan, timing cover, valve covers, flexplate, and replaced the pickup tube. The reused components required a sh*t-ton of cleaning. Beyond that, I only had to clean the EGR ports on the throttle body to remedy a P0401 code. Compression test was outstanding. I think I was at about 11% variance. Around here, I'll take a used police engine any day. But that's because they're well-maintained here. Plus I can pull it in about an hour vs. an F-150 or Expedition of that era. Much more room to work in those.

As for the oil filter that was on the engine, I don't recall clearly. I think it was Mighty, but that may have been one of the others. Little bit of a blur right now. I don't normally take pics, but I figured that one was worthy just to show people what a neglected engine looks like.

Last edited by EsJayEs; 06-02-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
I don't normally take pics, but I figured that one was worthy just to show people what a neglected engine looks like.
Ohhhh...is that a dig at me ???

Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by ford_driver
Ohhhh...is that a dig at me ???
Not at all. I was communicating that it would be nice if I took more pics to share with others.

When I go into sarcastic mode, I make it obvious. And some people don't get the humor. See example below.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ne-squeak.html

Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Glad you got it back together. Anything in the oil pan?

I almost forgot. Just for reference if other people land here, this is what happens when you don't change your oil as recommended. It was the last 4.6L I did that failed due to poor maintenance. Oil passages starve the head for oil tensioner doesn't apply adequate tension, timing guides self-destruct, oil pickup clogs, and then you just ruined an engine that would've lasted 300,000+ miles. If I recall correctly, almost half of the lash adjusters were destroyed and one of the rocker arms said "oh f*ck this" and shot out.

there was some pieces in the oil pan so I replaced the pickup just in case..but as far as I can tell all the pieces were accounted for..

Quick Reply: 06 5.4 timing chain tensioner and guides