2000 replacement in a 1999 (please read)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-1999, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2000 replacement in a 1999 (please read)

There has been some discussion to what the dealers have to do to replace a 1999 engine with a 2000 model year engine. There are some changes to the 2000 like a new plastic intake manifold and new exhaust manifolds, as well as different injectors and throttle body. I just went into my dealer this afternoon, they had my old engine out of the truck and the new one in with the 2000 parts still on it. The mechaninc said that Ford came out with an updated listing of what to do to replace these engines. You can use the new parts that come with the engine. everything hooks up fine with some re-routine of wires and hoses, all diagramed by Ford. The only things that the dealer will have to do is to get a 2000 heater hose from the manifold, new exhaust lead pipe studs, and a new ground wire since the old one was grounded to the intake that is now plastic with brass inserts. This is good news for those hoping that the new engine does not have to be broken down. The coolant was'nt in mine so they could not start it when I was in there and they were waiting for the heater hose (did not have it on hand). Supprisingly the hood does not need to come off the truck when they do the swap, it just clears. Also since the battery had to be disconnected and a new engine is in the vehicle, the dealer will re-program the computer to the 2000 codes as well. I will not get the truck back until Friday since I am also waiting for the slip yoke to get lubed with the new lubricant they have and a new rear sliding window. And I know this is not the place but if your window leaks, Ford is replaceing them with the 2000 window, it is all different, look at one at a dealer, the individual panes of glass have frames around them now and it is a totally different module (new internal frame). Sorry for the long post and my spelling. I'll let everyone know what the new engine is like after I get the truck back.

------------------
1999 F150 S.Cab 4x4
Northland Edition,5.4
Off road pkg. Fleetside
Black w/grey int.

Old 12-01-1999, 09:26 AM
Question

Thanks Bob, for the information. Why was your engine replaced, and what was your build date on the engine, or the truck?

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat 5.4 Super Cab, Short Box, 373 Limited Slip Axle, Electronic Shift 4x4, Off Road Package, 4-W ABS/4-W Disk, Towing Package, Engine Block Heater, AM/FM/CD Indash, Rear Slider, Leather Captains Chairs, Wedgewood Blue & Harvest Gold, Luverne Stainless Steel Nerf Bars, Lund Interceptor, Ventvisors, Factory Rear Molded Mud Guards, Ford Motorsport Reg. Mud Flaps on Front, Ford Bedliner/with Rubber Mat.

Old 12-01-1999, 09:48 AM
ml
Bob, if your engine was replaced for piston slap, I would appreciate it if you would copy this post to: Piston slap information (Summary) in this forum, so we can keep all this great info in one place for those who are searching for info on the topic.

Good post and thanks for the update!

Old 12-01-1999, 11:23 AM
wjt
Question

Bob,

My 5.4 will be called in by the dealer for an engine swap next week. Regarding the actual engine removal and replacement, did they disassemble any part of the front end to remove/replace the engine? Reason why I'm asking is because I'm curious as to if I need to remove my Manick brush/grill guard to help facilitate the engine replacement.

-kindest regards

------------------
1999 F150 4x4, dark blue, 5.4l auto, Manick brush guard, KC Hilites, tinted windows, K&N air filter without airbox, Gibson side swept exhaust, bedliner, toolbox, Uniden CB with whip, and now, an appointment with Dr Ford for open heart surgery (to replace a Piston Slap'in Engine)...

Old 12-01-1999, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob,

You are correct about the **NEW** sliding rear window for the 2000's. I noticed that it was different than my 98 F-150.

This new design seems to be better made and more robust. Hopefully it will just keep the water out!

---------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II

Old 12-02-1999, 12:16 AM
ml,I added the info to the piston slap sum. page. Great idea

JCAM: the engine was replaced due to piston slap, the build date of the truck was 02/20/99 and the engine was, I presume a week or so before, I'll have to look when I go check up on the dealer Thursday.

wjt: the dealer had to remove only the radiator and shroud. It may be easier for the machanic to lean over the front end for disconnect and hookup of components if you remove it, thats if it sticks above the hood line or a ways infront of the hood itself.

------------------
1999 F150 S.Cab 4x4
Northland Edition,5.4
Off road pkg. Fleetside
Black w/grey int.

[This message has been edited by Bob's F150 (edited 12-01-1999).]

Quick Reply: 2000 replacement in a 1999 (please read)