Oil in antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in antifreeze

I have an 89 full size bronco with a 302 in it. Just had the intake gasket replaced because it was leaking antifreeze everywhere. I was told that the radiator was flushed out before new coolant was put in, but know there seems to be oil in the antifreeze and in the overflow container. What should I do? Is it okay to drive like this? Should I go somewhere else and have them flush it? I have put very few miles on it (probably 500 or less) since the gasket was changed. Thanks and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how much oil? are you using oil? generally if its getting in the cooling system it gets in the oil to. thats the big concern.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The oil level is okay and it appears to look good not discolored. The oil in the antifreeze seems to be just at the top of the antifreeze in the overflow container and in the radiator at the top it is a little hint of brown but you can still see that the antifreeze is green. When I wiped the radiator cap off, you could definitely tell there was oil on it. Should I take it back to the mechanic that fixed it or try a different route?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hard to say weather or not you should take bak. Could be oil that is incidental from changing the gasket although that would be a small amount. Keep an eye on it for awhile and see if it looks like more is coming in and watch your oil. Generally if its coming into the cooling system it going in the oil. The cooling system is pressurized at the points where it can come in more then the oil is.. Head gasket mainly..

Quick Reply: Oil in antifreeze