Plug and play crate motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug and play crate motor?

I've finally made the decision to buy a cheap 4 cylinder truck for work because 75 miles round trip each day kills me in gas with my '02 with the 5.4. Since my truck will no longer be a daily driver to work, I've decided that it would be an excellent time to turn it into a performance truck. The problem is the good old reliable 5.4 that's in there is so old and worn that it probably won't handle any serious performance upgrades, and I really would prefer a crate engine over a rebuild, as I don't know the integrity of the block. If I knew the existing block could stand up to the power and boost, I would just get all new internals (crank, rods, pistons, etc...). But anyways, I was just looking for a place that sells a drop in replacement for the 2 valve '02 5.4L with all the proper internals to run decent boost and power. It doesn't have to be a 5.4L. It could be a 5.0 from a mustang for all I care, just as long as it's a minimum of 5L 8cyl and will bolt right in place of the current one. The rest (ECM, fuel system, electrical, etc..) I can tackle once I get it in place, but the first step is the right engine.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
any '97-up modular motor (4.6, 5.4, 5.0 coyote or 6.2)will bolt in...

the rest of the "stuff you will deal with later" on the other hand might pose some issues depending on which way you

Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 PM
So I could bolt a 5.0 mustang coyote right into my truck and to my 4R70W transmission, or does it have to be an engine for a f-150? I don't know if there are any differences in mounting brackets or bell housing bolt pattern. Apparently the 4R70W is a pretty strong transmission, so I won't be replacing it. I know the other things that go with an engine could bring up issues, but I want to be able to look at a few engines before I dig too deep. Thanks for the response by the way.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by silenceikillyou
Apparently the 4R70W is a pretty strong transmission, so I won't be replacing it.
With a boosted 5.4? Ever watch Mythbusters...How many miles on the current motor? Personally I would just rebuild the engine you have and forge the internals. I would stick with the 5.4 and keep things apples to apples as much as possible to avoid electrical headaches....L-Swap anyone?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ParnAZ

AVOID Manny, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT due to issues his motors have had he's no longer a vendor on a couple Lightning forums...

Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 AM

So I could bolt a 5.0 mustang coyote right into my truck and to my 4R70W transmission, or does it have to be an engine for a f-150? I don't know if there are any differences in mounting brackets or bell housing bolt pattern. Apparently the 4R70W is a pretty strong transmission, so I won't be replacing it. I know the other things that go with an engine could bring up issues, but I want to be able to look at a few engines before I dig too deep. Thanks for the response by the way.
the coyote 5.0 SUCKS in front of a four speed transmission (read up on it at NLOC)

Originally Posted by ParnAZ
With a boosted 5.4? Ever watch Mythbusters...How many miles on the current motor? Personally I would just rebuild the engine you have and forge the internals. I would stick with the 5.4 and keep things apples to apples as much as possible to avoid electrical headaches....L-Swap anyone?

my 4r70 does just fine behind a boosted 5.4, and I'm going to be swapping to a 4r70 (built) in my Lightning...

sure in stock form it's not as tough as the 4r100 BUT once built it's a better optioned transmission

I agree with the Lightning swap just for ease of install / use something I wish I had listened to Madferraristi a long time ago about and I actually am about to pull the eaton / related parts off of my Lighting and stick 'em on ebay

Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Well, I plan on beefing up my current transmission, but not completely replacing it.

The existing 5.4 has 270,000 miles on it which are mostly highway. I would LOVE to rebuild it myself. The only problem is that I don't know what condition the block is in. I'm looking to end up pushing around 600hp and it's probably going to happen with boost. I don't know if that old block can handle the pressures and stresses associated with that much power. I also want the finished product to be very reliable, as I will be using it on the 500 mile round trip to the camp during hunting season. This haul is about 90% interstate and sometimes I'm hauling a 4wheeler.

I think a lightning swap is a great idea, as long as i can find one that is solid and reliable.

I'm just trying to figure out my options and a ballpark estimate of how much money it would take from the day I take the old engine out to the day I can turn the key and drive with the new one.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
600hp? oh boy, you're gonna need to dump some $$$!!!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
built motor, whipple/ kenne bell, built transmission, hope you got deep pockets with a goal of 600HP!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Well what would be a reasonable expectation running a supercharger on the highest octane pump gas in a 5.4? I'm sure you guys have figure out by now that I don't really know much when I come to this kind of thing. Don't get me wrong, I can physically take it apart and put it back together, but I couldn't tell you what to expect out of it or how reliable it's going to be. But I can do the physical work if I have all of the parts. And to be honest, I would rather get the info on here than from my local shop who can't even tune my friends mustang gt with comp ***** thumpr cams properly.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:15 PM
I've reread this and I think you guys would have better advice if you guys knew what I was going to do. I am an indecisive person. I love tons of power, but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for going to work every day. So I've been flip flopping with engine choices on a new F-150. I realized I could have both power AND fuel economy for less by buying a cheap 4 cylinder work truck and rebuild my current F-150 to be the performance/show truck I've always wanted. This build will be done in a MINIMUM of 3 stages.

Stage 1) Powertrain upgrades: Engine rebuild/replace with forged internals and everything associated with running boost. I'm still on the fence about going with a supercharger or a variable geometry turbocharger. Also any required upgrades to transmission, driveshaft, or rear end components.

Stage 2) Exterior upgrades: body kit and new paint job (silver with 2 blue stripes down the center. I know it's cliche/overdone, but I love the look), new rims and tires (probably wider rears to help with traction).

Stage 3) Interior upgrades: Remove front seats and rear bench. Put 2 racing buckets, make a custom fiberglass center console, custom full width fiberglass sub box where the back seat was.

So basically, I want it to eventually become a show truck that I can take to the drag strip, go to cruising the coast, or just humiliate that guy in the chevy who thinks he needs to race any ford he sees on the street. Seriously, my friend and I were riding in his '06 mustang GT and a guy in a silverado pulled up and floored it when the light turned green. He then proceeded to drive 50 in a 55 until we tried to pass him and he floored it. We passed and farther down the road slowed down to 60, he caught up and tried to pass us. He did not succeed and got pissed every other time he tried and failed. I guess he never noticed the car shaking and loping at the red light from the comp cams my friend had just installed and got dynotuned that week. Where I live, it is full of these kinds of people. Go slow until you try to pass then floor it to try and prove their trucks are fast.

I know this will take a lot of money and time, but I'm single and 23 and I've got plenty of time to do this. I'm not expecting to finish this in 6 months. I know it's going to take me at least 5 years, but I love the body style and I get to keep my first truck which has served me very well.

This is the reasoning behind my engine questions. I want to figure out the best route for me to go engine wise so I can then figure out what I'll need as far as upgraded injectors, fuel system, ignition, etc.... Hopefully with this information you guys can better help with what I'm asking. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
well you need to figure out what your goals are and which type of power adder you are going to use first.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm leaning towards a variable vein turbo and minimum of 400 HP at the crank.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 PM

I'm leaning towards a variable vein turbo and minimum of 400 HP at the crank.
that's like 340rwhp... an Eaton M112 (aka Lightning swap) with stock pullies can accomplish that

there's some in the calssifieds for sale

Quick Reply: Plug and play crate motor?