Water in gas????

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in gas????

2001 Excursion, 5.4L, 213K miles - We have been having excessive rain for the last few days and I filled up at my usual station. After driving for less than a mile the vehicle started running rough, felt like it was missing and loss of power. I called the station to advise them that I suspected that they have water in their gas and they advised me that they have two filters in their pump and that there must be something wrong with my vehicle. I thought filters only removed particulate matter. Does anyone know if gas stations use some kind of water separator in their filtering system??

Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NKENN
2001 Excursion, 5.4L, 213K miles - We have been having excessive rain for the last few days and I filled up at my usual station. After driving for less than a mile the vehicle started running rough, felt like it was missing and loss of power. I called the station to advise them that I suspected that they have water in their gas and they advised me that they have two filters in their pump and that there must be something wrong with my vehicle. I thought filters only removed particulate matter. Does anyone know if gas stations use some kind of water separator in their filtering system??
They could. My guess is you have water around one or more of the COPs causing a misfire.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cousin was in the gas line directly ahead of me, her car is running rough now. Can anyone answer my original question?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel vehicles have filters that trap the water, so the station could easily have them.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One of the local stations here had a driver put diesel in the station's tank. They bought a whole lot of cat converters for customers!

Pull your fuel filter and drain it into a glass jar, if you have water then you will see globs of water in the bottom.

Yes I think they can filter the water out before the pumps, but if they haven't serviced the system lately you can still pick up water.

I have also heard thet ethonol is more prone to water, but don't know for sure.

Put a bottle of HEAT in the tank, it will take care of water in the system unless it's real bad. It doesn't take much water to screw with things

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Water in gas????