Aux Fuel Tank in a 97 Expedition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux Fuel Tank in a 97 Expedition?

OK I am currently researching putting in an Aux tank between the frame rails over my rear axle. I am looking for any help with this. From how to plum the Aux into the OEM and also how to mount and fill the tank.
Since I have an Exp I cant mount a tank in the bed nor mount the fill next in the cargo area either. I would also need help with wiring a fuel gauge for the Aux.

My Exp is used for storm chasing and having extra fuel onboard will give me longer times between fill ups for those high risk days in the country. I also do severe weather response and do emergency work such as pulling vehicles or debris out of the road way during disasters. Along with supplying electricity.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
have you considered the fact the suspension travels up and down and it cycles? hence that might not be a smart / safe location for an aux tank

Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM
I have and everything is out of the way. from the inside of the frame rail

Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
I seem to recall someone attempting something similar with an F-150 of the same bodystyle. If you were to use a rear tank from an older pickup and switch to the older style spare tire mount, you might be able make something work?

Quick Reply: Aux Fuel Tank in a 97 Expedition?