Piston Slap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-1999, 06:11 PM
knt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Piston Slap

I am also interested in what "piston slap" sounds like. On some cold starts I get a what seems to be a valve train nose, but maybe it is piston slap.

Old 10-13-1999, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

My 98 5.4L s/c just started to make the same exact sound (17,400 miles)...sounds like the valves chattering for 1-2 seconds at start up..then it is fine. Never did that before. Last winter..it was perfectly quiet. I live near Columbus Georgia, and it is NOT cold here. In fact, when I left work this afternoon..it did the same thing. I am sure it is no big deal and in fact....
it might be because I have always used 92 or 93 Octane fuel...and have been burning only 87 the past 5 fill ups. I have noticed a drop in initial power since burning 87 octane fuel. The higher octane DOES provide more power.

Oh well..I won't have this problem/worry much longer either way.

-----------------------------------------
Replacement 2000 F-150 XLT, 5.4L s/c, towing package, HD cooling, keyless entry, sliding rear window, Cd, arrives in 11 days

HOORAH!

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 10-13-1999).]

Old 10-13-1999, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hi knt,

I happen to still have the file that is a recording of someone starting their engine that had piston slap. This file was running around on this site for awhile. If you send me your e-mail address, I will attach it to an e-mail and send it to you. It isn't easy to hear in the recording, but towards the end of the recording, it becomes clear what the sound is.

My motor was replaced about a week ago to a FQR (Ford Quality Replacement). The service manager said it was one of the noiser ones he'd heard. It is very quiet now and the dealership did a great job on the installation.

Another hint, use the search feature on this site and search for "FQR" and/or "slap" to try to find occurances of these discussions.

DirkR
1997 F-150 4x4 5.4L S/C ORP 1999 FQR
darcpa@worldnet.att.net

[This message has been edited by DirkR (edited 10-13-1999).]

Quick Reply: Piston Slap