Coil-Over Packs 5.4L Rip off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil-Over Packs 5.4L Rip off?

So I've seen a few threads around here about the 130ish dollar complete CoP set off ebay, but I'm in a bind and need a new set in just over a week due to an impending roadtrip to another province. I don't have a reader so I can't pull the code to just find out which CoP is failing, but my plugs were changed just 15,000 km ago, so I highly doubt they are the problem.

So I went to Autovalue and asked them for a quote on a complete set, the dude wanted 86bux a piece, 688+tax for the set. I almost choked on my wheaties, and I havn't had any wheaties since I was 6 years old. He said that was CoP and boots, though I don't understand wtf that means.. the CoP's on my truck are a solid unit.. the solid part up top, that the wires clip into, then the rubber piece that goes down around the head of the sparkplug.

Anybody care to enlighten me a little more on these CoP's so the next time I go in I can be like "listen here ********". I searched Coil-over pack on the forum, but there's a lot of questions/problems and not a huge amount of answers. Also would like to add, I understand I won't be paying Ebay prices, but 5.5x the price on ebay is absolutely ridiculous. I would pay 2x as much to get them right now, but I'd rather spend the extra 400$ on gas taking my 69 cougar then pay these jerkoffs to fetch me a box from the back shelf.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, don't really know what you're looking for here, but here's a few things;

They're not coil-overs; those are shocks. They're coil-on-plug, or CoP. The price you got from the parts house is pretty typical for a name brand parts store/dealership. There is a way to troubleshoot and find the bad coil without a reader. With the truck running, disconnect each coil, one at a time. Each one will make the truck idle worse except for one. The one that you unplug and the idle doesn't change is the bad one. As for the boot, that is the rubber piece that goes down around the plug. So seems like the parts guy knew what he was selling after all.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased a set of COP from the eBay deal. They are OEM Motorcraft COP's...that I got at least. And they now have 50k miles on them with out ANY problems. I forgot the name of the seller but, I would buy from him again. I got a set of 8, with boots for around $100 with a lifetime warranty...if I remember right...

Old 08-02-2012, 12:19 AM
That auto parts store is trying to rip you off. You can get a set of Accel coils for a little over $200 on summit. There is no reason an OEM set should cost that much.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:11 AM
I have weapon-x coils and love them. oem's do cost more.
http://www.excessiveracing.com/weaponxcopcoils.aspx

Old 08-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Concept
So I've seen a few threads around here about the 130ish dollar complete CoP set off ebay, but I'm in a bind and need a new set in just over a week due to an impending roadtrip to another province. I don't have a reader so I can't pull the code to just find out which CoP is failing, but my plugs were changed just 15,000 km ago, so I highly doubt they are the problem.

So I went to Autovalue and asked them for a quote on a complete set, the dude wanted 86bux a piece, 688+tax for the set. I almost choked on my wheaties, and I havn't had any wheaties since I was 6 years old. He said that was CoP and boots, though I don't understand wtf that means.. the CoP's on my truck are a solid unit.. the solid part up top, that the wires clip into, then the rubber piece that goes down around the head of the sparkplug.

Anybody care to enlighten me a little more on these CoP's so the next time I go in I can be like "listen here ********". I searched Coil-over pack on the forum, but there's a lot of questions/problems and not a huge amount of answers. Also would like to add, I understand I won't be paying Ebay prices, but 5.5x the price on ebay is absolutely ridiculous. I would pay 2x as much to get them right now, but I'd rather spend the extra 400$ on gas taking my 69 cougar then pay these jerkoffs to fetch me a box from the back shelf.
- Did you just boof a lefty? You would be a riot around the bon-fire lol.

Hell, purchase a set from the dealership @ 90+ apiece.

Yea, you'd be chokin on your momma's wheaties.

Quick Reply: Coil-Over Packs 5.4L Rip off?