im confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im confused

ok so my coolant system has me at an awe.... the resevior has big air burps but it only does it when the thermostat is closed. y i would understand if it only did when thermostat is open but it doesnt at all. it doesnt overheat or leak anywhere. i figured maybe needed air bled out i let it run with resevior cap off for 30min after warm up multiple days in a row and still its a big steady air bubble ONLY WHEN THERMOSTAT IS CLOSED

am i right in saying when thermostat is closed the collant just sits in the resevior?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm confused now. So what's the problem ?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Where are the big bubbles coming from

Old 04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I was thinking head gasket but that were the case it would do it when thermostat was open cause be gasses would be crossing a channel in the head thus to show it would have to be open

Old 04-27-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 97stepside4.6
Where are the big bubbles coming from
A bad cap. Clean it or replace it. If it's doing it cold, before the thermostat opens, it must not be bleeding out. You have to bleed it at operating temp w/the controls set to wide open. But it should do it on it's own after awhile. Did you try to service it or something ?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 PM
I actually had to put a thermostat in it cause I've only had it a week or so and replace upper radiator hose and I'm actually leaving the cap off starting it and I see bubbles so with cap off I see the level drop..... No bubble but after the fluid rises back in the resevior I seebig bubbles. I let it run like this for about 20min or wo and it just keeps doing it
Oh it also has a new looking radiator

Old 04-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Also the heater core I believe is bad so I bypassed it when it was hooked up but I will save that question on the heater core for another post

Old 04-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What made you think the heater core is bad? Smell antifreeze in the cab?

Old 04-27-2012, 06:11 PM
well its never had heat and coolant wont pass through the both sides only one side gets warm the other stays cool. i noticed when replacing the thermostat it had that crappy barr stop in the intake so i figured it was stopped up. so i unhooked it and and grabbed my water hose with truck off and ran water through both sides and the water came out clean so i started it turned the heater to hot with blower on hi and did it again with hose and once again clean so i hooked it back up and same deal one side would get hot while other side wouldnt so i figured its bad and bypassed it

Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by 97stepside4.6
Also the heater core I believe is bad so I bypassed it when it was hooked up but I will save that question on the heater core for another post
No, don't start another thread, - since we are talking about it here. That just cheeses people off since we don't want to search ALL your threads for one subject. That won't happen.

Could have named it better, - Like "Coolant System Problems", - to late now.

Where you bypassed it, - pull those lines apart to burp it. Better yet, Install a T with a valve.

Also, use only the 192 or 194 stats. The others are problematic.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 PM
how do i burp it at the heater core bypass and im sorry im confused on the T valve

im not sure which thermostat i put in i just ordered one through advanced auto parts

also to my understanding the coolant is only burping when its not flowing through motor that really wheat my concern is
to be 100% honest im really worried its the head gasket cause i can slightly smell fumes and it steams

Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
i mean its steaming from resevior

Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 PM

The T is to purge the air from the highest location. It won't do that on it's own because you bypassed the only way it can.

Yea, your creating a good size air pocket somewhere, which in turn can make a monster hot spot somewhere. That don't always register on the heat gauge, - depends where exactly it is. - But it is deadly. Hopefully it hasn't got to that point yet.

Your locking air in there somehow. I can't see exactly what you've done. Might not want to drive it or run it at all until that's figured out. It's cheaper to fix it right vs having to shell it out for a new engine.

That thermostat info is important. It will say on the box or the stat itself. If not, get a Motorcraft part that has the numbers.

Hope you get figured out.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 AM
If I put the T on how should I purge the air I assume u are taking about a T with a valve should I attatch a 12" rubber Hoseto the middle of the T and hold it upright while the engine is running to purge the air I'm sure I sound confusing

Old 04-28-2012, 06:02 PM
just a heads up i got ancy and went out and tinkered with the truck.

first i dropped a little CLR into the heater core and let sit for about 30 min and ran a garden hose to it and ran lots of water through both ends hooked it back up and low and behold i HAVE HEAT HOTTTT HEAT yay so i let it run with resevior cap off and its stiff got bubbles coming up when the thermostat closes its got a small pause between burps but doesnt stop their is not a single visible leak but i am getting a little smoke out tailpipe when startup but not every time

and the thermostat is a 195

Quick Reply: im confused