cam phaser issue.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cam phaser issue.....

My 2007 Harley f150 5.4 3v (non supercharged) drops RPMS when I let off the gas so low that the engine starts knocking and rocking its *** off. I have to throw it in neutral and rev it up and it quits. Sounds exactly like the link below. What do I need to do about this? How much is ford going to charge for this if i dont want to tackle it. I have rebuilt my supercharged mustang motor so Im not new to engines but really dont want to fool with this. And write up or suggestions on what to do now. Am I right with my diagnosis?

Sounds EXACTLY like this.... at 2:50. EXACTLY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzEt2TTq7Y

Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Had the same problem not too long ago, along with a few other problems with my engine. timing was out of wack, shop replaced a bunch of sensors, cam shafts, cam phasers, even redid the head. I eventually got a used engine put in.

Before i took it into the shop my truck was running exactly the same way yours is, except it only seemed to do it when it was FULLY warmed up and at a stop light and stuff, bucking and missing and sounded like crap.

Few questions: Any CEL's? Does this happen right when you turn the truck on or when its warmed up?

Also, there is a wright up somewhere on here about replaceing cam phasers, i dont have the time to look for it now but if you still need the link i can try to find it later on. Hope this helps!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM
yeah man, i just found the write up. Any idea on what it cost to have it done? I just dont have the time to have to do this at the moment nor the want to.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by BakerF150
yeah man, i just found the write up. Any idea on what it cost to have it done? I just dont have the time to have to do this at the moment nor the want to.
I honestly dont have a clue how much it would cost to get them replaced, there might be someone else here who had them done and could give you a number.

I think ford should have made a recall on them, but there were just too many trucks with the problem, they would have went bankrupt! lol

Old 04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I have the same problem I changed cam phasers timing chains solenoids and it still does it. Next is pulling the oil pan to see if the pickup screen is plugged at all. I have oil pressure but not enough volume the whole system runs on oil pressure. And the timing chains eat the crap out of the nylon guides

Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinthose
I honestly dont have a clue how much it would cost to get them replaced, there might be someone else here who had them done and could give you a number.

I think ford should have made a recall on them, but there were just too many trucks with the problem, they would have went bankrupt! lol
They are not a safety item..so there would be no recall required. Bad engineering, yes !! But, not a personal safety item.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by sam1947
They are not a safety item..so there would be no recall required. Bad engineering, yes !! But, not a personal safety item.
Ahh i wasnt aware that they only recall things that are a saftey issue.

But yes, very bad engineering!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
For a dealer to change cam phasers plan on $1200 - $1800 or more depending on your location. I would get a a good diagnosis before dropping that kind of money to throw parts at it.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I had the same exact issue on a 2008 Lincoln Mark LT with 35K miles. I was luck enough that I purchased this from a local dealer. It only made that same noise and shaking when warmed up and at a light or stopped. As soon as I revved the engine the noise would go away. Brought it back to the dealer and they said it was a sensor, then they said it was the cam phaser. Then they called me back and said Ford said the motor is shot and offered to replace the engine with a factory rebuild. I said no and the refunded me my cash. The noise was the exact same noise as the video you posted. I still have the video of my truck doing the same. I now purchase a 2008 F150 Lariat, I hope I have better luck with this one. Good luck and I am curious how you make out.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Thats what I am worried about. Them throwing parts on it, saying its fixed, month later pulling a trailer, it does it again. Mine does it when its warmed up but only with a trailer behind it.

Quick Reply: cam phaser issue.....